BootsnAll Travel Network



New Zealand….Dunedin

Monday 7 August 2006

I am now in Dunedin. It is New Zealand’s second city after Christchurch (which I am heading to soon). It is home to NZ’s first university so it has lots of young people walking around and a vibrant cafe culture feel to it. Dunedin is also Celtic for ‘Edinburgh’ reflecting its foundation by Scottish settlers.

It is here that we have visited the Cadbury chocolate factory – and before you all scream at me – there is no sign of salmonela here thank you very much!! We were able to see how Cadbury make and produce, box and sell their chocolate and confectionery. Of course, the only reason we go is for the free chocolate – and yep we got loads of it – which I have already consumed! Yummy!!!

Yesturday I went on an Elm Wildlife tour on my own. It was pretty amazing. A shuttle bus picked me up from my hostel and took me to the peninsula where I was lucky enough to spot a Royal Albatross flying around. Apparently it is very rare to see them at this time of year and this is the only mainland breeding site for them so it was very special. I was also able to access a walking track accross private farmland to a beach where I walked past Hooker Sea Lions and viewed Yellow Eyed Penguins coming in from the sea and up the slopes. I couldnt believe that I got to see the penguins waddling up the beach. When they say hello to each other they lift their heads right up into the air. I also saw NZ Fur Seals and Spotted Shag birds which were building their nests on the side of the cliff.

My body is still aching from the snowboarding but I am recovering.



Tags: , ,

One response to “New Zealand….Dunedin”

  1. link says:

    hi

    great post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *