BootsnAll Travel Network



Observations of an airport junkie

Our flight today took us from Cusco to Arequipa, and since this is our 8th flight since we left the UK, a few common observations are beginning to appear…..

We love people watching and following their quirks of behaviour that make the human race so fascinating and infuriating in equal measure. Catching a plane is a bit of an artificial situation to be in since it is a little unusual from the everyday activities of life, but it still provides some great examples of human behaviour worth noting.

The first is the security check. Take a moment once you’re through it yourself to sit down and watch the various motions that people go through when presented with this ‘challenge’. Some people seem to imagine the small trays and dishes provided for objects in one’s pockets are actually there as places to leave tips for the security people, and thus ignore them entirely. Result? Numerous alarms and the need to retrace one’s steps (and delay everyone else), making the necessary innocent-looking protestations such as the universal shrug as some form of defence for their ignorance.

Others, when faced with the “doorway to nowhere” scenario, are seen walking through with their hands held up in some form of surrender action. Quite funny, and it catches on too if there’s a queue behind the first passenger to do this. All they need is a white flag to demonstrate their absolute innocence!

Then there’s the “I must retrieve my bag” scenario. Okay, it’s safely passed through the scanner, no alarm bells have rung, and it’s just beginning to appear from beneath the rubber flaps that guard the workings of the X-ray machine (perhaps it’s dark in there to make the x-rays work better???). Courteous individuals are patiently waiting in line to retrieve their own belongings, but these people must, at all costs, get their hands back on their hand luggage. This generaly involves much pushing and shoving of those in the queue until the objective is achieved. I mean, come on, let’s face it, no one’s going to do a bag snatch here are they, with a battalion of security people all around!!

The other amusing scenario in the departure lounge to look out for happens when your flight is called. Some airlines operate a system where rows of seat numbers are called out for priority boarding, obviously to make everyone’s ability to board the aircraft promply and efficiently all the better. But it seems that a plague of innumeracy suddenly sweeps over the departure lounge from the moment the steward begins to speak into the desk microphone. Almost as one the whole contingent of passengers rise from their seats, hastily gathering hand luggage that is really far too big for the cabin in any case, and amass in no order whatsoever around the steward. Of course, this has the effect of delaying everyone and doing no one any favours, and all because there seems to be some obsession with wanting to sit on the plane for even more time than is absolutely necessary!

The other observation we have to share with you is when the plane’s landed (but not yet “come to a complete standstill”). Now, tell us, what is it with insisting on undoing your seatbelt the moment the rubber touches the runway?? The cacophony of click click click as seatbelts are undone while the plane is still doing 150 kph is a sound to behold! Perhaps it’s so that these people can be the first off the plane. Oh, hang on a minute, the doors aren’t even open yet, in fact we haven’t even reached the place where the plane is scheduled to stop. Truly bizarre!!

Just a few observations from the airport junkies we’ve become……



Tags:

One Response to “Observations of an airport junkie”

  1. mum & dad Says:

    Hi
    Wonderful descriptions feet are aching already! Well done to you both.

    Take great care and see you soon, by the way Happy New Year!

    Mil & Pil xxxx