BootsnAll Travel Network



Machu Picchu

The best part about arriving at Machu Picchu early in the morning is that you get there before the coach-loads of tourists from Cusco so it’s much quieter.

Fredy was very patient at us standing there with our mouths wide open at this huge expanse of ruins in front of us. He then gave us a very interesting and informative tour of most of the site for a couple of hours. Astrology, the sun and degrees of latitude featured highly in the design of most buildings. A lovely water fountain trickled though a series of mini canals (Eug can’t get away from them!). And we heard of how the condor, puma and snake featured highly in death and the afterlife.

Late morning and the crowds were starting to sprawl into Machu Picchu. And we were starting to feel whacked as the hot sun started to drain us further. So, Fredy, Eug and I got the bus back down the hairpin bends to Aguas Calientes. It really was lovely to sit in a proper soft seat for a little while.

We got to the SAS Travel affiliated Hostal Viajeros which was great. They also provided us with a bowl of fruit and bottled water which was a nice touch. No time for a shower yet – we were hungry and Fredy was waiting downstairs.

We all headed into town for a pizza and a beer. It was really nice. We’d had some good chats over the past few days and Eug and Fredy in particular had got on very well. He was our friend now, and a very good bloke to know. That aside, we’d have no problem in recommending Fredy (Conde) as a guide to anyone who wants to do the Inca trail, find out about Cusco and learn much more about Andean life. He’s honest, easy-going and loves his job. We didn’t like saying goodbye to Fredy either but have swapped email adresses and hope we can stay in touch.

Finally, a shower. I’m suprised our bodies didn’t go into shock after 4 days of sweat.



Tags:

Comments are closed.