BootsnAll Travel Network



Cusco salespeople

Perhaps more than anywhere else in Peru, at least in our experience, Cusco is plagued with street vendors. While the hassle level from these people is not all that intense, the range of ‘goods’ on sale and the techniques are worth a comment or two.

Around the beautiful main square the numerous restaurants have their various touts lurking outside, attempting to persuade any obvious tourist of the merits of the dishes they serve. The truth is that all of them are pretty much the same when it comes to food and service – pretty good and at a reasonable price, which makes the touts’ job even harder; there are few differentials.

At the first sight of a target the menu is flung open and a rapid approach made. It’s funny watching the various reactions of visitors to these approaches, and after a while it becomes fairly predictable. Those with too much money (no nationalities mentioned!), who also tend to be in groups of four plus, generally amble along looking rather dazed and confused – sitting ducks in other words! They’re approached, stop, puruse the menu, have small discussions between themselves, then shake their heads and move on – only to be accosted within a few short steps by yet another open menu and a tout stood in their path. The same process happens perhaps four or five times down a single side of the main square, and it’s a wonder these people actually ever get to eat – they appear just so indecisive!! But we can confirm they do eat……..

Then there’s the downright ignorant tourist who rudely brushes past the tout, not even giving them a glance let alone a word or two of refusal. These people don’t deserve to eat; afterall, even if the touts can be a little annoying, they’re only doing their job and at least deserve some courtesy Again, no nationalities mentioned!

Along with the restaurant touts there’s a whole host of other salespeople wandering the streets of Cusco waiting to pounce on targets. A game we’ve played a lot while we’ve been here is to make a guess on how many approaches we’ll receive between one place and another – it’s usually in double figures just for a short walk!

There’s the little boys with their boxes of postcards, invariably images of Machu Picchu and unanimously unsuccessful in their endeavours to make a sale. Surely these guys will be redundant in a few short years as the Internet and digital cameras replace the unreliability of sending a postcard home to the folks.

There’s the little girls with knitted finger puppets (I really can’t see a use for one of these!), who appear from nowhere, thrusting their fingers towards you as if this form of enticement will make you reach for a Sole or two.

Then there’s the ‘painted picture’ salespeople who tell you they’re at art school and these are all their own works. Wow! Firstly, they must be short of time to get on the streets and sell if they can produce so many watercolour pictures, and secondly, how come so many of the pictures are exactly the same???? Hhmmmmm, we think there’s a little factory somewhere in Lima with a big photocopier, but we are cynics afterall!

We can’t forget the myriad of individuals who are happy to offer information and tours – for a price, and generally can’t be trusted to deliver anything. A horse riding tour of the local ruins, Senor? How about a rafting trip down one of South America’s dirtiest rivers, full of sewage and other unpleasant things from the communities who know little better, perhaps?? A tour of the city, mister?? And the list goes on…….

Then there’s the guys who walk around with briefcases, jumping in front of you, springing the hinges and revealing they’re carrying a walking camera accessories shop of films, batteries, memory cards and even cameras. And the boys with small boxes of cigarettes with the odd Cuban cigar tucked away “for a special occasion, Senor??”.

And last, but definately not least, there’s the shoe shine boys. Mario, Diego, Ceasar, Pablo – we know a few of their names, only because they’ve tried so very hard to clean are footwear too many times in the past! And, incredibly, Mario even tried to persuade me of the merits of having my sandals cleaned!! I don’t think so, and he must have been desperate for a sale.

These people are some of the fabric of Cusco life, to always be respected for their endevours even if the goods on sale aren’t required.



Tags:

Comments are closed.