BootsnAll Travel Network



Against the odds??

We made it! And without a hitch, unlike last year!! Just 22 hours after leaving a souless Travelodge on Gatwick’s runway, we landed at Guatemala City.

The rucksacks made it too, which was even more of a relief after last year. Waiting by the carousel we spied a rather large cage and pondered what would be in it – it was Dougal (actually, a large Labrador), which was a bizarre sight amongst the suitcases, brown paper wrapped packages and other kitchen sinks. Not sure whether it had needed to answer the call of nature on its trip, but the rucksacks were sufficently far away not to worry us.

Previous capital city airport experiences had hardened us to the melee of bodies, fumes, traffic coupled with the heat, attendant beggars, hawkers and pretty much everything else. But this turned out to be a sweet experience, with only one approach from little Mario as we got our bearings and scanned the waiting throngs for a sign that would hopefully read ‘Eug and Em’. Mario moved on, we were drawn to the sign like bees to honey and that was it. We’ll be back here a couple of times over the next four weeks, and we may even look forward to it if this experience was anything to go by.

A short ride in our pre-arranged transport with the delightful Henry brought us to our bit of luxury. Em had promised herself a bathrobe treat, but was disappointed to find the suite had everything but!

Nonetheless, we were here, and the mystery of arriving in a strange place in the dark meant a growing anticipation of what dawn would bring from our view of the city from the 7th floor. Time for bed said Zebedee.



Tags:

Comments are closed.