BootsnAll Travel Network



Slightly less corrupt

A headline in yesterday’s Bangkok Post declared that Thailand is “slightly less corrupt” in 2008 than in 2007. It was eye-catching headline that highlighted the 2008 Corruption Perception Index, which was just released. Thailand ranks 84 out of 180 countries – could be better, could be worse. Again, this is based on a worldwide perception  of various countries, something that is a very legitimate issue in such an interconnected world.

It was interesting (in a depressing sort of way) to find that the U.S. ranks 18th – in terms of developed nations, only France ranked worse, by one spot. It’s on par with what I’ve seen during my time out of the country. No one has a problem with Americans, but everyone, and I mean everyone, has a problem with our government. I’ve been told more than a few times that people just can’t understand how we moved from being a sort of naive but overall inspiring entity to such an aggressive, threatening one. Honestly, the rest of the world considers America to be a huge threat to the rest of the world. I know a Thai girl here that went to visit a friend living in Boston; she cannot get over how friendly people were! She literally was scared to go, as America is no longer perceived as a friendly or welcoming place to those who haven’t been.

We affect the rest of the planet in huge ways, and they are aware of it – you’d be amazed at how closely and how passionately these other countries follow what is happening in ours. I’ve had politicial and social discussions with Thais, Australians, Canadians, Brits, South Africans, Argentinians, Filipinos, a variety of Europeans – they follow our news much more closely than most Americans that I know.

They all feel sorry for us as citizens and, while I won’t use this as some political soapbox, I guarantee that there is not a foreigner out there who wants McCain. Rather, they are terrified that it could be McCain and it’s not uncommon for someone to ask for reassurance – surely there’s no way it could happen, is there? People are genuinely excited about the prospect of Obama, and I’d say most are more concerned about what happens in November than they are with anything happening in their own homelands.

I wish that more people could be personally exposed to the views of others, because it really makes you realize what an important issue world relations and perceptions are. It also highlights just how big of an impact we do make in such a huge world and that we seriously need to change some things.  Hopefully next year we can do a bit better than #18.



Tags: , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Slightly less corrupt”

  1. Slightly less corrupt | Giving Up the Real World for the Real World Says:

    […] Original post by allisonrae […]

  2. Carol Devall Says:

    Allison,

    I have so much enjoyed all your stories. Your are truely a gifted writer and I will miss them when your journey is over.
    Have a great time on the rest of your trip –be sure to come home to us safely!

    Love ya,
    Carol

  3. Dad Says:

    Interesting perspective. I wonder if there is a study out there that guages the percentage of foreigners wanting to move to a country and where the U.S. would stand in that ranking. Perception is important and to some it is reality, but regardless of what the perception of some is, I still believe we have more people trying to get here than to most Asian or European countries. It is true though that you dont have to love your government, but you should always love your country! Thanks for the insight.

    Love ya,
    Dad

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Allison Says:

    Loving your country is exactly why you should change it when things are going wrong – I think it’s pretty clear right now that we’ve got some major problems, and hopefully enough people love it enough to do something about it. You can’t be on top forever if you don’t evolve…

    I’d agree that there are many would-be immigrants., but generally it’s due to a lack of any opportunity in their own homes. I think it’s beginning to change, because I don’t think anyone is associating the US with opportunity right now – I can say that of everyone I’ve met on this trip, not one would move there. People honestly do not idolize us and, as I mentioned in the post, mostly feel sorry for us right now (unless they’re too distracted by laughing at us). If someone asks where I’m from and I don’t feel like a heavy discussion and explanation, it’s safest to claim Canada!

  6. Posted from Australia Australia
  7. Melissa Martin Says:

    Wow, I had no idea that America is perceived in such a way. You have to be learning so much over there and I am truly inspired to visit this area of the world. I am very excited for you to come home and tell me all of your stories. I think we need to plan a weekend or something (I am due to visit Austin…when is Austin City Limits?). Anyways, have fun on this next part of your journey and talk to you soon.
    Missy

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Cory Acord Says:

    I most certenly liked your angle that you have on the topic. Certainly wasn’t thinking on this at the time I started browsing for tips. Your ideas was totally simple to get. Happy to find that there’s an individual here that gets it exactly what its is talking about.

Leave a Reply