BootsnAll Travel Network



Listening to rice grow

 dscn2881.JPG

There’s a saying that Thailand grows rice, Cambodia watches rice grow and Laos simply listens to it. Having visited all three countries, I can say that there is no better way to sum it up. Laos is a little slice of heaven – unbelievably quiet, virtually traffic-free, almost completely undeveloped (yet far from neglected) and home to some of the friendliest, most genuine people out there. Not one person has tried to sell something to us, overcharge us or hassle us to take a ride. It’s Thailand, without the touts, consumerism, cellphones, beach parties, prostitution or protests. It’s nearly perfect, and nothing could be better after our time in northern Vietnam. The language, traditions and food are nearly identical to that of Thailand, so I’ve already got a good grasp on communication basics and cultural mores.

We’re in Luang Prabang right now, which I believe will be our absolute favorite spot at the end of this journey – one of the cleanest, most beautiful “cities” on earth with absolutely no signs of the negative impacts of tourism. Responsible, controlled development has taken root here, and it’s wonderfully apparent! The blog will come in a day or two (we’re in no rush to leave), but I’ve posted the first of what will be many photos of this incredible place. Take a look…



Tags: ,

6 Responses to “Listening to rice grow”

  1. Listening to rice grow | Giving Up the Real World for the Real World Says:

    […] Original post by allisonrae […]

  2. Juli Says:

    Allison
    As usual, the pictures are amazing. The scenery seems so peaceful and relaxing. The ones of the waterfall are my favorite this time. So Gabe is making you a purse? Must be true love! Oh and maybe y’all could find the parents of that 5 year old doing laundry in the river and ask them what the secret is?

    Miss you and love you guys!

    Juli

  3. Posted from United States United States
  4. Mom Says:

    Hi Allison and Gabe,

    Sounds like you are staying in a lttile slice of Heaven!

    I’ll be in NY through Sat., 12/6 and am quite excited about it. However, I’ll look forward to my return so I can catch up with you and your adventures.

    Love ya’ll; stay safe!

    Mom

  5. Dad Says:

    A-Rae,

    The photos have so much color its amazing and nothing like I expected Laos to look like. Juli likes the waterfall photos but I have to go with the two pigs in the sand. Thats just me! Enjoy your stay there and keep the blogs coming.

    Love,
    Dad

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Charlesexino Says:

    browse tinder for free , how to use tinder
    tinder website

  8. Charlesexino Says:

    browse tinder for free , how to use tinder
    tinder online

Leave a Reply