BootsnAll Travel Network



Monday in Clanwilliam

Today was another cold, rainy day so it was a perfect opportunity to go into town and do some errands.

After a lazy morning of reading my book, Ingrid and I loaded up the cars and headed off. We took two vehicles as we both had different things that we wanted to do and then we agreed to meet up for lunch. So off we went.

My first stop was the local hospital in Clanwilliam where I spoke to the Sister-in-Charge who kindly arranged for me to spend tomorrow afternoon talking to hospital staff and having a tour of the facility. I am most interested to learn how the medical system works here. I am sure I will find it very different from our universal health care system and the big, city hospitals where I used to work.

Next on my agenda was the local school. Here I was struck by how incredibly clean it was. The floors were just shining and it was apparent that a lot of care and importance is placed on its upkeep. The children also were impeccably turned out in school uniforms.

After a lovely chat with the delightful secretary, she showed me into the Principal’s office. He, a lovely coloured man, took great pains to introduce me to the South African education system. This week, it turns out, is a short week for schools here as Thursday and Friday are holidays. He has invited me back next Tuesday to spend the day with them in their school routine. I am so excited. They are the most beautiful children!

Ingrid and I met up at Nancy’s Cafe where we enjoyed a lovely lunch and chat over a cup of Rooibos tea before heading back to Gecko. Lenore (Jim’s mom who travelled with me here at Christmas) had very kindly given me money and asked that Ingrid and I enjoy a meal on her. As we savoured our wonderful lunches (Ingrid had smoked Salmon, I had a mushroom, cheese and onion open faced sandwich) we spoke of Lenore and our many happy memories here in South Africa: the many hours of laughter we shared sitting on the porch beneath Spirit Mountain; our trip to Bushman’s Kloof; our wonderful meals in the Lappa. Such special memories. We were a little bit melancholy that Lenore was not here to enjoy it all again with us but we carry her with us in our hearts.



Tags:

Leave a Reply