BootsnAll Travel Network



Gecko Creek Lodge

I think that Linton and Lisa have managed to capture the perfect union of rugged camping and creature comforts in their lovely lodge nestled in a valley in the Cederburg Mountains. The collection of tiny huts that we saw upon our arrival proved to be perfectly situated for breathtaking views and magnificent outdoor experiences. Brilliant sunrises over the mountains backlight amazing rock outcroppings. Inside, the cabins are charming with basic furnishings, tastefully decorated in traditional african decor.

We pulled up to Linton and Lisa’s house to find a wonderful two bedroom bungalow with all of the creature comforts and amenities we are accustomed to. Running water, refridgeration and full kitchen. Whew! The guests of the “lodge” stay either in the cabins or in tents and share common areas for cooking and beautiful, ceramic tile washrooms. It is truly the ultimate outdoor experience with all the comforts you would want without taking away from the outdoor lifestyle.

I awoke early on Tuesday and ventured out to explore while the others were still sleeping. There is rugged off trail hiking here but that seemed a little ambitious for me on my first day so I decided just to walk out the road we came in. About half a mile from the lodge i came upon a road branching off to the left. The walking was hard going in the loose, sandy soil but I was soon rewarded when I reached the stone outcroppings known as Elephant Rock. It truly does look like an elephant! And there, right beside it is a smaller rock, that with a little imagination, you can see a second elephant following along there. It is really cool to see these two formations that look as though they are lumbering across the sandy hills.

After a quick shower, Lisa prepared us a great feed of bacon and eggs (your favourite Jim) which Linton tells me is a staple here in South Africa where what we know as side bacon is called “streaky bacon”.

After this big meal I took my book and my jelly fruits to explore what was to become one of my favourite spots in the camp. I climbed up into the treehouse and looked across a magnificent panorama including the imposing outcropping called Leopard Rock. A beautiful, cool breeze blew through my lofty perch. Soon, I found myself having to read the same paragraph over and over to get its meaning and eventually I gave in, drifting off to sleep in this mountain paradise. What a delightful way to spend an afternoon!



Tags:

Leave a Reply