BootsnAll Travel Network



Antelope Safari!

Thursday we ventured north through the mountains to the world famous Bushman’s Kloof. This 5 star resort is a jewelled oasis, starkly in contrast to it’s harsh surroundings. Imagine the image of a proper english gentleman in a white suit exploring Africa and stopping for a white tablecloth meal in the middle of the savanah and you have Bushman’s Kloof.

Upon driving up the drive we were greeted by the Manager who gave us a walking tour of the grounds. The impeccably manicured lawns and beautiful gardens housed several buildings; some for lodgings ($500 per night), some for dining or gathering, and some to house the approximately 100 staff members who work there to look after the 32 guests. We were escorted out to a lovely patio area beside one of the 3 salt water swimming pools to enjoy a glass of amazing South African wine.

After a leisurely drink, we moved to the front verandah to enjoy High Tea. Yup! You heard it here. Mini sausage rolls and Quiche Florentine, egg and mayonaise (our egg salad) sandwiches, and cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches, followed by freshly baked scones, jam and clotted cream. Fresh fruit alongside as well as freshly made sugar donuts. How extremely civilized!

The safari landrover pulled round and collected us and we ventured out onto their vast animal reserve. Here, during our 2 and a half hour safari, we saw Eland, Springbok, a couple of other antelope species that I’ll have to look up the name of as I’ve forgotten them, Black Wildebeest and Ostrich, living in their natural environment. Amazing. Unfortunately, the zebra were elusive today and we could not find them despite our best efforts. Before returning to the lodge, we stopped at the side of a small watering hole where our driver spread out …. you guessed it …. a white table cloth and a selection of the finest wines, beers and liquors from around the world for our enjoyment. I had Amarulla, a liquor made from a native fruit here. It tasted quite similar to a Brown Cow cocktail and was wonderfully refreshing. I couldn’t help but chuckle when I imagined the picture we must have made.

We returned to the main building and to the same poolside dining area where we had enjoyed our glass of wine earlier. We were about to experience dinner!

I began with Ostrich Carpaccio. Ostrich meat sliced extremely thin and served raw on a bed of rocket (a type of leaf lettuce) and watercress salad with parmesan, capers and balsamic. To die for!

A pineapple sorbet to clear the pallet.

The entree….

Broiled Springbok (antelope), medium rare; roasted potato, broccoli. Served with a chocolate shot. Prepared to perfection and served by no less than 4 table attendants. They even spread our napkins on our laps for us. Didn’t we feel quite the Toffs! If this is wild Africa I’m in! Apparently this is one of Margaret Thatcher’s favourite destinations. I wonder if that was her private helicopter sitting on the front lawn?

All in all a spectacular day experiencing how the other half lives. Jim, you’d better get those horses racing better. I could get used to that lifestyle.



Tags:

Leave a Reply