BootsnAll Travel Network



What I miss about Amerika

1. Crosswalks and/or pedestrian bridges across four-lane roads.

2. My anonymity. [I really miss this one.]

3. My car. But even if I did have a car here, I don’t think I would make it much further than a mile from our house before running into an old man standing in the middle of the street, or a wagon full of cabbage hulled by a donkey, or a dented, bumper-less minibus, or all three in one blow. So, it’s best I don’t have the temptation.

4. My simplistic view of America’s role in foreign affairs – I could never have fully understood the impact the decisions our leaders make until I came to the Middle East. It was so much easier to fall asleep back then…

5. Kraft macaroni and cheese – no spirals or fancy white cheddar powder. Just the original dayglo orange version.

6. Conversations which are slightly more complex than:
“How much is a kilo of oranges?” or
“My brother is a doctor.” or
(as complex as it gets…)
“I am happy today because I am here.”

7. Watching the Sunday morning pundits cut each other down (preferably seated on my couch with a hot cup of freshly brewed coffee rather than Nescafe), especially in the run up to the midterm elections. Will the Democrats take the House and Senate? Have the Democrats given the American public a clear message on what they stand for? And, what exactly do they stand for again?

Oh wait, no. Wrong list.

8. George W. Bush. Remember, before he destroyed the world, how we could laugh at that guy?

Tags: ,



One Response to “What I miss about Amerika”

  1. Antonie Says:

    I’m actually sitting on my couch watching the Sunday morning pundits while I read your list. I think I know what you mean – life abroad can certainly make you miss all the little things you took for granted at home – although I can’t agree with the mac & cheese! I was the odd kid who never liked it. I always liked you guys though and I miss you very much!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. The Other Mom Says:

    Hi,
    One of the funniest things that came out of the election was the president saying, “We sure did take a thumping.” It was actually cute. I can’t believe I just said that.
    Mom

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Kirsten Says:

    I think your political experience may be karmic balance for mine, where the most complicated political discussion I’ve had recently was a JHS 1st year asking, “Bush ga suki desu ka?” (“Do you like Bush?” is the Japanese coming back? 😉 ) and me responding, “Kirai! Dai kirai!” (“I hate him! A lot!”) and making funny faces of disgust.

  6. Posted from Japan Japan

Leave a Reply