BootsnAll Travel Network



The Nilometer

We visited the Nilometer today, a large stone column built in 861 AD to measure the rise and fall of the Nile. It was used up until the 1950s when the Aswan High Dam was built, thus ending the annual flood. The Nilometer is on the tip of Rhoda Island – an oasis of green, secluded from the street noise and traffic. Definitely recommended if you are looking for something a little off the beaten path. Make sure you get someone to open up the doors for you, and then also with a little more money you can climb down the stairs to the bottom of the Nilometer.
Looking into the Nilometer
The Nilometer is several meters below ground level.

the nilometer
When the Nile reached 16 cubits, the harvest was likely to be good (which also meant that taxes would be higher).

Looking up
The guard opened the locked gate for us to enter into the Nilometer. D made it all the way to the bottom of the stairs for this great view of the domed roof.

nile
The Nile, looking very serene.

Tags: , ,



3 Responses to “The Nilometer”

  1. Antonie Says:

    Good God, Sarah. Your photos are so beautiful. That second one looks like something from the mind of MC Escher and the last one reminds me of the tropical watercolors Winslow Homer painted. I wish I could take such great photos!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    Thanks for the compliment, Antonie! But honestly, it’s impossible not to take good photos in Egypt.

  4. The Other Mom Says:

    Sarah,
    I have to agree with Antonie. It does take a special eye to “see” a picture. These are exceptionally beautiful.

  5. Posted from United States United States
  6. kimof911 Says:

    hi there

    nice fotos for my city 🙂

    here is my blog about those places which i love them tooooo much as an Egyptian and as an architect

    http://www.islamicture.blogspot.com

Leave a Reply