BootsnAll Travel Network



Photos of Sufi dancing in Cairo

We just got back from a fabulous evening watching Sufi dancing held in a 16th century inn in Islamic Cairo. The music and dancing was intoxicating, so I just wanted to share some of the photos before logging off tonight. Hopefully we’ll write more about it later…

Sufi_Dance1
And the spinning begins…

Sufi_Dance3
and continues for an entire thirty minutes!

Sufi_Dance5
The second set included three dancers together on the stage.

Sufi_Dance6
spinning…

Sufi_Dance10
and spinning and spinning. The dancers seemed exhausted, but stable, when they walked off the stage. I, on the other hand, was slightly dizzy.

Tags: , ,



6 Responses to “Photos of Sufi dancing in Cairo”

  1. Mum Says:

    The dancers appearance raises questions. In my limited knowledge, the garb worn by the dancers was white, one-piece garment and their heads were accessorized with a red fez, complete with tassle. Do I have the wrong country or are the dancers colorfully clothed for visual effect? Actually, I like the colors!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Antonie Says:

    What amazing Sufi pictures! I especially like the first and last ones – they could be paintings – so beautiful! Miss you guys. Love, Antonie

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Mark Says:

    I thought most Sufis were Persian. No?

  6. admin Says:

    I don’t know that most Sufis are Persian, but there are Sufis throughout the Islamic world. The troupe we saw has been performing two – three times a week for a number of years in Cairo (in fact, I was told they are all civil servants of the Ministry of Culture). According to one article in Wikipedia, there has been a resurgence of interest in Sufism in Egypt since the 1970s.

    I also don’t know about the dress they wore. I was also expecting to see white robes, as I saw in tourist brochures of whirling dervish shows in Turkey. Not sure if the colorful skirts were part of the performance, or if it’s uniquely Egyptian.

    Articles on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Egypt

  7. Andrew & Anna Says:

    Just lookig at the pictures made us dizzy! Are you guys still going to be in Cairo in February? Miss you xx

  8. MysticSaint Says:

    beautiful indeed!

  9. Posted from Singapore Singapore
  10. Stephanie Says:

    Awesome! I saw the same show when I was in Cairo this summer. I love sufi music and dance, there’s something that’s primal but at the same time elegant about it that’s just.. transcendent. These guys were amazing- I never realized that men could be graceful without being effeminate..

  11. Posted from United States United States
  12. Stephanie Says:

    And I believe we were told that the colorful quilted skirts were uniquely Egyptian.

  13. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply