BootsnAll Travel Network



Learning lessons in Cairo I

On more than one occasion, I’ve seen lots of blood smeared outside of buildings and on cars. Very, very frightening, especially when it appears that nobody else seems to notice, not even the family getting into the blood-smeared car.

Well, I was recently told by a friend that people smear the blood of an animal (a goat?) on something to keep away the evil eye. Makes sense, now that I think about the places I’ve seen this phenomenon – on the outside of a new restaurant, on new cars, and on the doorway of a home.

Tags: , ,



2 Responses to “Learning lessons in Cairo I”

  1. Mum Says:

    Remember the Old Testement story of the captive Israelites smearing the blood of lambs over their doorways so that the Angel of Death would “passover” their homes and only visit the Egyptian homes? Guess they learned from that experience. Greeks ward off the evil eye by wear a small glass eye on a chain around their neck, which is less messy.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    I did remember that story when told the explanation behind the blood. Isn’t it fascinating and amazing that the Old Testement story can live in today’s world?

    When we were in Turkey we saw lots of the bright blue “eyes” which can be bought to wear as a necklace or just hang on your rearview windshield. Sometimes I also see them sold in shops here in Egypt.

  4. Greg Says:

    Based on the way they were driving when I was in Cairo, I would not assume that it was animal blood. 🙂

  5. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply