BootsnAll Travel Network



Cairo pictures

men cafe
Men in a downtown coffee house in the afternoon.

midan tahar
Tal’at Harb square. This is where you go to get invitations to perfume shops. Apparently most of them were frequented by Muhammad Ali, the boxer, at one time or another. From the picture you get the impression that Cairo looks an awful lot like Paris. It most definitely does not.

cairo bus
Wow!! It really looks like this bus is flying around the corner, ready to squash your intrepid photographer. Actually it is at a dead stop waiting for, you guessed it, more passengers.

lady cafe
Not only men get to enjoy a smooth cup of coffee in 105 degree weather.

s and fateer
When we were in Thailand we fell in love with the pancakes smothered in condensed milk and chocolate which we found at the night market stalls. When we came to a new town, our first mission was to hunt down the town’s night market and test out the deliciously messy and flakey treats. In Cairo, we have found the equivalent. Here we are about to dig into the saving grace of Egyptian baked goods: the fateer. Mine has honey and cream. The cream came right out of a little baggy from the fridge, so it is still in little clots. So, so, so, so, so, so good.

cairo and nile
The Nile river. The island of Gezira, host to our temporary neighborhood of Zamalek, is on the right, and downtown Cairo is to the left. A cab ride between the two will set you back about 5 pounds, if you are generous and don’t want to be yelled at.

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply