BootsnAll Travel Network



8 Hours in Alexandria

We left Cairo at 8 a.m. this morning for a day trip to Alexandria with two friends. On the two and a half hour drive we passed by agricultural areas where we saw lots and lots of pigeon coops.

pigeon coop
Pigeon houses in Egypt

Once in Alex, we fortified ourselves at Mohamed Ahmed’s, the Egyptian version of the American diner. Breakfast is omelets, shakshouka (egg and tomato), falafel, fuul (mashed beans), beets, and salad. Just exchange the shakshouka and falafel with fried eggs and hash browns and you’d think you were sitting in the Tastee Diner in Bethesda, Maryland. Kind of.

egyptian breakfast

After breakfast we were ready to hit the sights of Alexandria. So, what can you do in Alex in only 8 hours? Plenty!

fishing boats
Start with a walk along the Corniche and check out the fishing boats which will be catching your dinner later today, if you are lucky.

alex tram
Take a ride on the tram, or just watch one pass by.

fort
Walk to the Fort at the tip of the Corniche and watch the swimmers, fishers, and loiters. The fort is thought to be near the site of the Alexandria Lighthouse.

montazah
Go to Montazah Palace Gardens to see how the King relaxed on vacation from Cairo.

alex library
Don’t miss out on the Bibliotheca Alexandria. The original library was destroyed in 48 BC and, after more than 2,000 years, the new library opened a few years ago to much fanfare. Wonderful.

alex fish
And finally, don’t leave without having fish for dinner. Mine had teeth.

Tags: , ,



One Response to “8 Hours in Alexandria”

  1. Mark Says:

    LOVE THE PICTURE OF THE TWO OF YOU!

    What do they do with all the pigeons?

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    yum….pigeon…

Leave a Reply