BootsnAll Travel Network



1st Starbucks in Egypt…but for how long?

Starbucks opened its first two stores in Egypt this December, but with calls for a boycott, it’s anyone’s guess as to whether the chain can make it in the Middle East. My prediction: capitalism will win again.

Boycotting campaign to resurface with Starbucks opening
Daily Star Egypt

CAIRO: An unlikely coalition of Islamists, reformists, youths and Socialists are uniting against the overwhelming powers of a cup of coffee.

Starbucks, however, is not just any cup of coffee. Internationally the chain has been criticized by leftist activists for using globalization tactics, promoting consumerism, and stifling competition. Regionally, however, the debate is centering in on the chain’s ties to Israel.

Egyptians and Arabs started circulating emails highly critical of Starbucks months before the opening.

One of the more caustic email forwards includes a letter allegedly written by CEO Howard Schultz thanking customers, stating that “$5 billion per year from the US government are no way near enough to pay for all the weaponry, bulldozers and security fences needed to protect innocent Israeli citizens from anti-Semitic Muslim terrorism. Corporate sponsorships are essential.”

The true author of the letter admits it was a hoax on www.ziopedia.org, but claims the essence of the letter is accurate.

Read more: http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=4872

Tags: ,



One Response to “1st Starbucks in Egypt…but for how long?”

  1. MARK Says:

    You know, Starbucks and I have had our differences, but this makes me want to found the Starbucks Defense League. If local coffee wasn’t bad, there wouldn’t be a market for $3 lattes.

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply