BootsnAll Travel Network



Food Fantasies

Still in Lamu. Still enjoying a life of leisure. But, unfortunately, not all is well in paradise.

A problem with stopping anywhere for an extended period of time is that re-establishing a routine can remind you of things that are missing in your life. In my case, that means developing intense cravings for some foods that I loved to eat in America.

I’ve been having a recurring daydream of eating a Chipotle burrito. I literally start drooling as I envision a warm flour tortilla with juicy grilled chicken, black beans, tomato salsa, and lots and lots of cheese. I see myself dipping a crispy, salty, and slightly oily tortilla chip into a huge cup of guacamole and stuffing it in my mouth just after I’ve taken a massive bite of the burrito, so that the textures and flavors—soft and hard, hot and cool— blend together. (I’m cracking myself up because I know this all sounds ridiculous, but I can’t help it.)

For dessert, I’d give myself a huge but blissfully satisfying stomachache by devouring an entire half-pound milk chocolate Symphony bar with almonds and toffee along with a cup of Baskin Robbins mint-and-chip ice cream (with its perfect balance of ice cream and flaky, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chips) covered in marshmallow cream.

If only…

In these fantasies, I haven’t returned home. Rather, I’ve convinced a relative or, in some versions, relatives —who unexpectedly tell me that they’re coming to visit me overseas—to bring these foods directly to me, by taking onto their plane a complicated refrigeration system containing a week’s supply of burritos, chocolate bars, and ice cream. I’ve yet to work out all of the details of this refrigeration system but, believe me, I’ll have a plan if this visiting relative scenario ever materializes. (Do you hear that Mom? You, me, and some Chipotle burritos in Egypt around October or so?)

So, to all of my family and friends reading this blog: this week, consider thinking of poor me if you eat one of these foods. Delight in their flavors. Understand how lucky you are. But under no circumstances taunt me with pictures of these foods or detailed e-mails of your experience—if you do, I will convince some witch doctor here to curse you.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *