BootsnAll Travel Network



Finally, With My Own Eyes and Ears

Today, I visited the Kigali office of an organization I worked for in Washington, DC. In my former position, I spent so much time writing about the organization’s overseas programs and listening to other staff members talk about them that it was an incredibly gratifying experience to finally see them in person. I was so impressed by the neat, spacious, and bustling office; the warm reception I received from staff, and from the country director in particular, with whom I had wonderful conversations; and the focus and commitment of the many program participants undergoing different job training sessions – knitting, sewing, basket-making, and beadwork—around the grounds. So much of it was familiar—the green and orange logo that greeted visitors as they entered the office, the products made by the participants, the bulletin board with the employee code of conduct, and even a DC staff photo that had my picture in it!—and I felt pride in knowing that I had recently been part of this office, providing them support from the other side of the world.Also at the office, a program graduate told me the story of her life during the 1994 genocide. I’ve read terrible accounts of individuals’ experience in war before but it was particularly—physically—painful to sit directly beside a woman as she looked me in the eyes—or, as her brave expression and cheerful talk fell away, as she turned to sob behind a crumpled handkerchief— and told me about the horrors she endured and how, 13 years later, they continue to affect her present life. I’m not going to recount her story here, because it’s deeply personal and I don’t believe it’s mine to share with everyone on the internet. (I remember her saying that before she joined our organization, she told her story to other organizations who had promised to help her; she never received assistance and she thinks they used her story for their own gain.) Despite the difficulty in hearing her story, though, I am grateful to her; I think it’s a story that will stay with me for a long time, and one that reaffirms my support for my former organization. There needs to be a reaction, a response, to the violence in the world, and something to provide survivors with hope for the future.Later this week, I’m going to return to the Kigali office as well as to a satellite office outside the capital to visit additional programs. I’m looking forward to seeing and learning more.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *