BootsnAll Travel Network



Another Day, Another City

I arrived in Mumbai by plane this afternoon. ($40 on SpiceJet for a 1 1/2 hour journey that included a snack of fresh cookies! I love those Indian discount airlines!) My first impression is that if I ever decide to live in India for awhile, it’d be great to live here. The city is filled with all of the comforts of home, but is also sufficiently exotic with its swaying palm trees and colonial architecture.

I didn’t do a lot today, but there was one highlight. When looking for a hotel, Matteo and I began talking with a young French couple. Then, the four of us were approached by a man who said (to the men, interestingly) that the French girl and I could work as Bollywood “hostesses” tomorrow for 800 rupees (about $20) each. When he said “hostesses,” he made what appeared to be the international “boobs” gesture with cupped hands in front of his chest. Hmm. While tourists are commonly offered opportunities to be extras in Indian films, I wasn’t so sure about being a “hostess.” (An 800 rupee hostess, no less.) In any case, we declined the offer. Assuming the man was legit, though, I wonder if I gave up my sole opportunity for Indian film fame– if I’m not “discovered” (again) in the next couple of days, I’ll probably have to wait until Cairo for another chance at international stardom.



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Another Day, Another City”

  1. […] A few weeks ago, shortly after I arrived in Cairo, I went to dinner with an American student who referred me to a casting agent for the Egyptian film and television industry. Thinking that it would be amusing to finally be “discovered” in Cairo after failing to successfully do so in both Hollywood and Bollywood, I gave the agent, Nova, a call. […]

  2. […] be “discovered” in Cairo after failing to successfully do so in both Hollywood and Bollywood, I gave the agent, Nova, a call.Then, last Saturday, Nova called to ask if Matteo and I wanted to […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *