BootsnAll Travel Network



Taupo – Chicken

A couple of months ago, I’d got an email from my friend Lisa, letting me know she was planning to be in New Zealand at the same time I was. This was outstandingly good news. Lisa and I met when we did our TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course, we clicked immediately, and only afterwards discovered that we more or less worked at the same place (in the same building anyway, and for related employers), and were both there by stealth, planning to leave soon but not having told our employer yet. Cue lots of lovely ‘secret squirrel’ emails and after-work emergency powwows when we were on the verge of handing in our notice and leaving. Lisa subsequently escaped to Spain, and I came off to see the world. Family events took Leese back to the UK, but her and her brother decided before long to come off and see what New Zealand had to offer.

I was on the Cook Islands when they got here, but by the time I’d got back, Leese had got herself a job managing a backpackers’ hostel in Taupo. I’d always planned to go there anyway; now it seemed the perfect way to round off my New Zealand time. I was desperately in need of an old friend, after my news about Fr Xavier, so the timing couldn’t have been better.

And it was wonderful! We had a great big hug when we saw each other, and I got to meet Lisa’s brother, Ki, as well. They were both working that afternoon so I settled down to a busy time of watching DVDs and reading. Oh, it’s a hard life. That evening, I had dinner with them and we began the long-awaited catch up, starting a non-stop conversation that would last four days!

Lisa had the next couple of days off, and we had a lovely old time, going for (gentle!) walks and exploring the area, good for both of us – me to get to see the place, and Leese so she can recommend things for the people staying at the hostel. We also both got to wear rather fetching raincoats, as it was raining, and took some lovely photos, in which we both look rather spesh.

I want that one

The first afternoon, I was completely amazed that Ki had built himself a bedroom in part of the living room in just a day, and was more than happy to earn my keep and help paint the walls. All those many, many, MANY coats that my bathroom took (Sarah – once again I salute you for your help!) were good practice.

We spent more hours wandering through town, in the art gallery, and up at the gorgeous botanical gardens (I’d recommend these for sure for anyone visiting Taupo) – Spring was a lovely time of year to visit these as all the blooms were at their finest. One night, as a thankyou to them for their fabulous hospitality, I cooked them a roast chicken dinner (my first in a good while), they ate it all and nobody died so hopefully it was ok!

One of the reasons for coming to Taupo was that I’d intended to do a skydive. It’s the cheapest there in all of New Zealand. The first couple of days, though, it was impossible due to the bad weather. On my third day, though, it was a beautifully sunny day. I woke up, thought about doing a skydive, and just felt sick. I don’t know why. Maybe I’d had too much time to think about it? I’d always intended to do one in New Zealand, and now, when I could, I dídn’t want to. I wasn’t prepared to spend that much money on something I didn’t 100% want to do (especially something that I can do back at home, should the mood strike me). Reading that back, I sound like I’m trying to justify my decision, and to be honest, I’m still a bit mystified by it now, but, hey ho. Onwards and upwards.

And so the time came for me to leave New Zealand, and head on to my final continent, and another challenge. So, after a fond farewell to Leese (in which she managed to wreck a car… but that’s another story!), I was heading for Auckland to the airport. South America was waiting.



Tags: ,

11 responses to “Taupo – Chicken”

  1. Sarah says:

    Suzie,

    Can’t believe how quickly your time in NZ has flown by and if you’re off to South America already that can mean only one thing – I’d really better start the Christmas Shopping!!!

    Safe journey! Lots of love,
    Sarah xxx

  2. Mum says:

    Suze, how lovely for you to meet up with Lisa and her brother. I’m sure you couldn’t have arranged a better way to end your stay in NZ.

    Stay safe in South America.
    Love you lots
    Mum

  3. Harriet Kennedy says:

    to suze Have a nice christmas in south american Love Harriet.

  4. Elephant Apple (Snr) says:

    Hey Suze – I can not believe that you are moving on to your last continent already! You’ve experienced so much – and my bathroom which was going to be done before you left is still waiting – time passes so quickly. Thanks for the Zorbing intoduction – I think I would like it too much. It looks fantastic.

    I’m popping round you Mum’s next Monday to say hi – I will pass on a hug for her to give you! It seems that I’m off the the Carol Concert at Liverpool cathedral on my own this year. I can’t promise not to harm Ken Dodd so watch this space…I might have more time to e-mail you if I’m sent down!

    God Bless.

    EA.
    x

  5. Elephant Apple (Snr): MESSAGE FOR AUNTY ROSEMARY says:

    (Apologies Suzanne for mis-using your blog!)

    Hi Aunty Rosemary,

    Thank you for your message on a previous blog. I am definately missing the pies – though I’m off to see Clare next week so who knows – Santa might have come early??

    I too would like some of Clare’s bravery – so I propse that we banish our reservations and go on a double Zorbing trip??

    Have a great Christmas!

    EA.

  6. Claire-Louise says:

    Hey Suze, so glad to have chatted to you online, technology, what would we do without it. Time has flown so quickly and can’t beleive Christmas is almost here and you are at the last stage of your adventure. I’m sure you’ll have great time in Argentina especially spending time with your Mum. I imagine it will be nice to settle in one place for a while and actually unpack the backpack for a while!! As Andy (EA – too many Andys at the mo!!) says the zorbing looks fab, couldn’t you fit one in your backpack!! They had them on “Im a celebrity ( sorry guys but reality TV is a must watch!!) – the contestants had coffee, tea, beans and tomatoes put inside so you got off lightly!! Anyhow keep enjoying, hope to catch you online again soon!! Miss you lots x

  7. Caroline says:

    Hey Suze

    Lovely to speak to you the other night online, Mike and I were creased up laughing. Still hope that Andy can pick up some one-armed cheap sunnies for the wedding! How on earth did we end up in that conversation?!

    Hope you’re enjoying South America.

    Will miss you this weekend at your mam’s party…. but hey, we’re going to make a coconut thai curry ;op

    lots of love and hugs
    C
    x

  8. Auntie Rosemary says:

    Hi Suze: I wrote a reply and somehow it got wiped!! here goes…… sounds like you’re still having a great time – and I know Claire-Louise enjoys “talking” to you on-line – every time I think of Christmas without you and your mum I feel myself filling up!! we’ll all really miss you – but I bet you can’t believe that your mum will be there with you in just over a week – spoke to her this morning and she’s busy busy for to-morrow’s ‘do’!! I’m playing a Christmas CD as I’m doing my chores to-day to put me in the spirit!!
    Take care Suze – love and miss you lots
    God Bless – Auntie Rosemary x
    p.s. message for Elephant Apple (Snr.)
    Hi Andy: Hope Santa will remember you I’m sure he will!! Pity you can’t make it to Clares to-morrow would have been nice to see you but I’m sure you’ll have a nice visit with Clare on Monday……. As for the Zorbing……. never in a million years!! I definitely don’t like being taken out of my comfort zone; Paul and Claire-Louise are off on leave next week and suggested we go to Manchester shopping – you’d think they’d asked me to go to Mongolia……….
    Take good care (apologies to Suzie for
    using her blog to correspondence but my lovely niece won’t mind I’m sure) love
    Auntie Rosemary x

  9. angela says:

    Hi Suze, just catching up , and wishing you and your Mum a great Christmas togethernrWhen does your whole trip finish?nrAt least you will be able to relax now in the sun [as if you didn’t relax already !!]nrLook aftr yourselves, and all the best for 2007nrlove from Angela xxx

  10. Angela-E- says:

    Hope you have had a wonderful christmas and best wishes for 2007!
    Keep blogging xxx

  11. Rob says:

    Hey Suzanne,nrnrIt was a brief encounter with you in Wellington but a good one, its always great to meet nice people on your travels and you sure were that, your travels are awesome and you have inspired me to visit some of the places that you have been to! so good on ya, anyway happy traveling Suzanne and all the best
    Nagging Rob! ha