BootsnAll Travel Network



Sydney – Bondi, Baby!

Apart fro the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge, is there anything more associated with Sydney than Bondi beach? I think you’ll find there’s not! This, then, became our destination the next day. We must have done something good, because the sun came out in force for our day on the sand.

Once again we got the train out, this time to Bondi Junction, followed by a bus to Bondi Beach. I had my smug face on (as per usual!) – I’d bought a weekly travel pass that I could use on the trains, buses and ferries, and so was mentally – or, in actual fact, out loud – totting up all Andy was spending and then looking very pleased with myself. Mature, I know, but I was making the most of the last days of my twenties.

Bondi itself was a really funky little offshoot of Sydney, where I would settle happily if I were to up sticks and move to Sydney (don’t worry, Aunty Rosemary, not on the cards – yet!). It was full of organic delis and little cafes. Real surfer heaven – and haven, I suppose! We turned a corner on the bus, and there it was – one of the most famous beaches in the world.

It was actually smaller, much smaller, than you expect. I had visions of miles and miles of golden sands, when in effect, it’s a medium-sized bay. The sand is gorgeously white, though, the sea turquoise, and with the sun out, it was very heaven. We had a real lazy morning, lying on the sand and chatting, watching the surfers (how very Bondi!), and wishing we’d brought our swimming cossies. That is, until we heard two surfers wandering past and talking about a shark that had been spotted. I’ll keep out of the water, thanks. I did want to send a text to everybody I know saying “Guess where I am? Go on, guess! That’s right, Bondi, baby!”

Bondi, baby!

Another lovely lunch (we managed to stay off the wine this time!), and meandered our way back to the hostel. After a couple of laundry-type chores back at the ranch, we headed out for a scrumdiddlyumptious chinese meal, and then met the rest of our room mates in the hostel bar for a drink or three. Good stuff.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I do love a good day out at the beach.



Tags: ,

Comments are closed.