BootsnAll Travel Network



Siem Reap – It’s all in the genes

My mother is a wonderful woman.  Apart from raising two intelligent, charming, and astoundingly good-looking offspring (so I know at least Michael is on my side in this post), she is talented and can turn her hand to pretty much anything she wants to do.  With one notable exception.  For the 29 years I have known her – and, I would imagine, at other times as well, she has a complete inability to ride a bike without falling off.  One of my favourite times was at Centre Parks, when we were younger, and like the devoted children we were, Michael and I only stopped laughing long enough to take a photo.  Apparently as well, on her recent trip to China, the same thing happened.

Well, those of you who are fortunate enough to have met both me and my mum know that we look like a version of “Send in the Clones”.  We act like it, too.  So I guess when I hired an electric bike to take myself round the Angkor temples for a day, I should have seen it coming.  The day was going so well, as well…

Jessica and Matt had left early that morning, so I was on my own for the day, and decided to make the most of it by getting an electric bike.  It was the best of all scenarios, really – I would have the independence of my own transport, without the pain and suffering of riding a push bike in temperatures approaching 40 degrees.  Electric bikes, if you’re unfamiliar with the concept, look like normal bikes except they have a battery unit on them which powers it.  You can pedal if you desperately want to, but really, who wants to?  They have a top speed of around 20 mph, so you pootle along in quite a sedate fashion.

I wobbled along the road (OK, these things take some getting used to), and made my first stop at the Aki Ra Landmine Museum.  This is a fabulous, important institution that educates about landmines, campaigns for their full ban worldwide, and supports young people who have been directly (and indirectly) affected by this blight on civilised society – including funding some of these young people to go to university and have something approaching a ‘normal’ life.  I might write further about landmines in a later blog, but for now, I’ve put a link to Aki Ra’s site on the right, please take 5 minutes to read it and see what we can do.

So, once I’d been there, I set off for the temples.  I intended to actually re-visit the ones we’d seen the day before – they are so huge, and varied, that I think I could have visited them 100 days in a row and never grown tired of wandering and discovering their hidden treasures.  I’d charged up my camera battery, and wanted to get some of the shots I’d missed the previous day.  Giving Angkor Wat a miss until later, I headed off to Ta Phrom, where the trees are coveing the crumbling temple, and to Bayon, the one with the faces carved into every wall. 

It was getting pretty hot, so I sought refuge in a cafe, and then headed out to find my two postcard girls.  The temples of Angkor are overflowing with local, insanely cute children, all selling you postcards, and pretty much anything else you would care to buy, all for “One dollar” (You get used to hearing that cry all day long).  I’d promised two of these girls (one of whom was called, seriously, Spidergirl – is that the coolest name in the world, or what?), and found all the children in a circle under a tree, paying rapt attention to a teacher.  I was intrigued, and stayed to listen for a while.  Apparently, they were having ‘politeness’ classes as to the best and most appropriate ways to deal with tourists, including approaching them in groups no bigger than three.  I was told later that the classes also take in wider social topics that these children might not normally have access to, such as AIDS awareness (vitally important in a country such as this, where unfortunately prostitution is rife, usually – as in most cases – amongst the most weak and defenceless in society).  Spidergirl spotted me, and, after class, came over and I bought her postcards, along with one set from her friend, as well.  They also gave me (and they insisted, before you start rolling your eyes in disgust at my freeloading) two bracelets.  I’m not THAT much of a scav, and I tried to give them back, but they insisted, without pressing me to buy anything else.  They waved me off, with an admonition to be careful on my bike.  If I had only heeded their warning.

Going back home, I realised it was Siem Reap rush hour, and the traffic going both ways was busy – I was getting overtaken constantly, as the battery was getting low, so I was going about 12 mph.  I’ve mentioned before about crazy Asian traffic, and this was no exception.  Suddenly, a guy swerved in front of me, I panicked, and the bike veered off to the side.  I hit the kerb with a thwack, and did a most spectacular Starsky & Hutch style catapult right off the bike.  Some lovely people stopped to see if I was ok, and I did that thing where you grit your teeth and smile through your tears and cry, slightly hysterically, “NO!  I’M FINE!  NO PROBLEM!  NOW, YOU BE ON YOUR WAY!”.  I limped back on to the bike where, to add pain to injury, the battery had just died a death, so I had to cycle the rest of the way back to town, leg bleeding, and feeling like I wanted to cry (admittedly, more from the ego bruise than anything else). 

I had to look at my leg myself – the medical advice for Cambodia is “get back to Bangkok”, which I thought might be a tad excessive for a cut leg, so, with virtual advice from my lovely medical relatives and friends (CL and JP take a bow, and a big thankyou), had a go at patching it up.  Let’s just say I’ll never make a nurse but now, thankfully, it looks like it’s well on the road to getting better.  I might end up with a huge jaggedy scar, but still, think of the sympathy I’ll get.

Understandably (well, for me, anyway – I do like to dwell on these things), I woke up the next morning in somewhat of a grump, feeling most ‘woe is me’.  Cycling round that day was out of the question, and I didn’t want to particularly splash out on a tuk tuk just for myself – my budget is quite tight here in Cambodia – so I’d pretty much written off my last day at Angkor.  Dejected,  I went to a lovely cafe for breakfast, and that is where my day took a massive turn for the better.  As I was on my way out, I looked up to see a lovely familiar face – my old friend (well, in travelling terms, anyway) Brad, who, with Michelle and Gary, I spent a great week with all the way back in India.  I couldn’t think of a more welcome sight. I knew he’d be in SE Asia at around the same time I was, but didn’t know that Cambodia was on his itinerary, so it was pure fluke that we were in the same place at the same time. It seemed to be a case of that marvellous serendipity that’s following me around. We spent a couple of hours just catching up, then decided to get a tuk tuk together and head off for more sights of Angkor.

Angkor Wat was our first stop, which was great for me, another chance to recapture some of my lost photo opportunities from the day of the dead battery, and then we went on to some of the lesser-known and lesser-visited temples, including a stop at a monastery with a huge (although very shiny and new) Buddha, where we ended up chatting to an interesting monk who was telling us about life in the monastery. He was older than us – I’d guess in his 50s – and had only been a monk for a year. I love the culture clashes that seem to go with these monks – you see some on the internet, some with mobile phones; this guy smoked a roll-up as we chatted.

Our final stop was another steep temple, facing Angkor for the sunset and, although there were a few other people up there, it was nowhere near as crowded as the first sunset I’d seen at Angkor. Equally as entertaining and as distracting as the beautiful falling light were the beautiful children who crowded round us, enticing us to buy their wares. We ended up playing games with them, especially numbers games, and speaking about our countries – most children know some basic facts about a lot of countries, presumably gleaned from one tourist and then used to impress others. A typical encounter goes something like this:
Child: “Where you from?”
Me: “England”
Child: “Capital is London. One of four countries all together – England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Population of England is 51 million”.

My personal favourite, though, and one I’m dying to know how it entered the lexicon, is:
“England – lovely jubbly”. Maybe Del Boy passed through Angkor one day.

After sitting and watching the sunset, and again marvelling at my good fortune to see Brad just when a friendly face was most welcome, we headed off to see some Aspara dancing (traditional Cambodian, usually involving highly decorated dancers making slow and precise movements), and – the real reason why we went to this place – an all-you-can-eat buffet. Not having eaten lunch, we filled our boots.

At the end of the evening, Brad and I said goodbye (for the second time!), and I limped back to my hotel room, but this time I was smiling. Maybe my genes aren’t so bad, after all.



Tags: ,

4 responses to “Siem Reap – It’s all in the genes”

  1. Michael says:

    I can’t think about the Centre Parks bike incident without a guilty smirk on my face.

    I hope your leg is ok and not too painful. I had a look through the most recent photo’s on your flickr site anticipating a gruesome shot of your leg but could only see pictures of temples. Oh and a couple of pictures of some children playing around/on what looks to be a lethal deathtrap of an electric bike! Please tell me you didn’t let them ride it.

    Love you lots,
    Michael

  2. Claire-Louise says:

    Glad to hear the leg is still intact!! Glad that myself and JP come in useful sometimes, although a little tip, follow the nurses advice… we know what we are talking about when it comes to wounds!! No offense JP!! You are missing the big event of the year this weekend Suze……… Gabis famous dance show!! We will hopefully video it and you will be forced to watch it when you are home… Thinking about it you will be missing next years to so will have two to catch up on. Gabs is in 8 dance this year including disco dance to Chico Time! Can’t wait. No other news apart from I got a last minute ticket to see Take That on Sunday. The most amazing concert ever known to man- even without Robbie ( You weren’t missed- just incase Rob has logged on!!) Its amazing how all the old songs come flooding back… Babe, Could it be magic, Relight my fire ( with Lu-lu in person) and my favourite Never Forget. Amazing just doesn’t describe it. Anyhow thats my boring life… keep us updated on your exciting one. Love and miss you lots CL CL and GAbs xx

  3. LIN ROLSTON says:

    Great to hear all and everything Suzanne, do hope by now that your leg is better. I think you are very brave to take on an electric bike. I couldn’t get talked into a riding a scooter when we were in Bermuda and that is not as crazy on the roads as where you are.
    Stay safe and happy, Love, Lin

  4. Mum says:

    I have to agree with your opening sentence of this blog entry Suze (well I would, wouldn’t I?) However, the remainder is not entirely accurate. I didn’t fall off my bike in China – it was the bike that gave up on me, developing a puncture about 2 miles into our planned bike ride. Now there is a possibility that I might have fallen off, had I continued, but I had to wheel my cycle back to the hire place and settle for a G&T and lots of good food whilst I waited for the rest of my group to return.

    Painful memories of ending up in a ditch whilst cycling in Centre Parkes are very vivid though. I also remember you and Michael were more interested in getting a photograph rather then rushing to see if I’d broken any bones, or gashed my leg. I must try to dig out the photograph, it would make an excellent pic of the week.

    Love and miss you lots.
    Mum

  5. Anna says:

    Poor Suzie!

    This is why I never mastered learning to ride a bike! The closest I get to it now is my exercise bike!

    Still loving your accounts and still missing you tons!

    Take care.

    xxx