BootsnAll Travel Network



Pahia – Dolphin Friendly

So, back in New Zealand, I began my two-week exploration of the North Island. After an admin-y couple of days in Auckland, where I was rejoicing in liberally available and liberally priced internet (or so it seemed after the Cook Islands), banks, shops, public transport and people (oh yes, and rain – though that didn´t get me rejoicing quite as much), I decided to head north.

The bay of Islands are in the North East of the North Island, and basically they do what they say on the tin – they´re a bay full of small islands, only a few of which are inhabited. They´re also famous for being the point in New Zealand at which El Capitano Cook first stepped foot on New Zealand soil.

Paihia, known as the gateway to the bay of islands, was where I was staying. It was a lovely, quiet little seaside town with miles and miles of shores. Plus the hostel where I laid my hat (and my backpack) was one of the best ones so far. Really comfy beds, nice kitchen, good showers. Goodo.

The next day, I booked to go on a boat trip round the bay of islands. I was a bit suspicious and reluctant at first, for a couple of reasons – firstly, my well documented travel sickness (most recently experienced by Andy, whose shoes I nearly puked on coming back from Fraser Island), and also, my poor experience with dolphins. In Cambodia, the freshwater dolphins were distinctly average, and failed to impress.

However, there´s not that much else to do in Paihia, so I booked. And boy, was I glad I did. The islands themselves are very lovely, but numerous, and once you´ve seen ten or so, really you´ve seen them all. The captain kept opening up the throttle, so I kept muttering to myself, “focus on the horizon, do NOT puke on anyone´s shoes”.

Before long, we´d pulled round a corner into a bay where there had been reports of dolphins. And sure enough, just as we got there, one did a spectacular flipper-style backflip. As if it had been trained to do one on sight of tourists, or something, and hey, even if it had, I´m not complaining. Dolphin back-flips = A Good Thing, in my book, which this is after all (sort of).

Some people off our boat got off and swam with them, but I didn´t because 1. Sharks eat dolphins (probably), and 2. It seemed like loads of effort – man, can they swim fast! We had a brilliant view just watching from the boat though, and I took the million requisite photos.

As lovely as the scenery was after that, including a jaunt through a famous hole in the rock (the boat goes right through, then when you get to the other side you´re in the open ocean and whoomp! All these waves hit you), the dolphins were the absolute highlight. Apparently we got really lucky and they´re not often that playful, so I think they were making up for their dolphin cousins in Cambodia.

In the afternoon, I had a wander up to a Maori National Reserve, which includes a house where an important treaty was signed between the government of the day and the Maori tribes. It´s beautifully preserved, including a gorgeous flower garden, and was a lovely afternoon´s meander. Apparently there are kiwis in the surrounding woods, but I didn´t see any, further proving the theory that they are mythical, or just really shy, like the haggis.

It was an early start the next day, as I headed back down south to Rotorua. So all in all, I´d had a lovely old time by the seaside in Paihia, and I can say, albeit through gritted teeth, that I might have been wrong about dolphins. They are quite good, after all.



Tags: ,

6 responses to “Pahia – Dolphin Friendly”

  1. Sarah says:

    Hiya Suzie,

    I’ve just read this with Beth and she’s back-flipping all over the place. She’s rather impressed by the dolphins and has been admiring your beautiful pictures of paradise (aka Cook Islands).

    We’ve just been measuring how far you’ve travelled so far and it’s a huge number that we can’t quite remember – thousands and thousands of miles!! Gosh! You must be tired!

    Thanks for the lovely postcard!
    Take care, keep safe!
    All our love,
    Sarah & Bethxxx

  2. Mum says:

    Suze, glad to read you’ve had a change of heart about the dear dolphins. You should definitely have braved the waves and gone for a swim with them though.

    Miss you loads.
    Love, Mum

  3. Auntie Rosemary says:

    I’m with you on that one Suze – i.e. staying on the boat!! would you ever believe that your mum and I were sisters – she must have got all the adventurous spirit (but I am good at cleaning!!) bet you can’t wait to see your mum on the 11th! Missing you lots.
    Take good care – good luck with the Spanish lessons – All my love Auntie Rosemary x

  4. Elephant Apple (Snr) says:

    Hey Suze – I always thought Sharks were afraid of Dolphins. Though my suspicion is that they’re less afraid and more annoyed by their funny noises and playground antics and it’s more to do with the fact they just can’t be bothered!

    Clare – having defended me in the ‘picky eating’ argument I will defend your cleaning. The house is always immaculate!

    God Bless.

    EA.
    x

  5. Auntie Rosemary says:

    Hi Elephant Apple (Snr) How are you?
    well I hope. No, I wasn’t knocking my beloved sister re the cleaning, was just
    stating that I actually ENJOY it (how sad is that!) but I would like some of her adventurous spirit!! Are you missing your meat pies? Take care Rosemary x

  6. Anna says:

    Wow! How beautiful a place? I am so pleased you are still enjoying your travels! The weather looks pretty amazing. Lots of rain and wind here! Thanks for the postcard which is helping me to escape dull England everytime I look at it!

    One very important message for you is that when your Mum comes out to see you remember this, NO MORE CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS!!!!

    Keep well and safe.

    Miss and love you lots.

    xxx