BootsnAll Travel Network



Hanoi – And then there was one

After returning from Halong Bay to Hanoi, we caught up with Rich and Dean, but I was sorry to hear that my Canadian buddy Jamie had decided to give up on Vietnam and head over to Thailand before he tackles China.  No chance to catch up with him this time, but somewhere else in the world we’ll meet and mix it up again, I’m sure of it.  Rich and Dean were about to head off to Laos the next day, so it was goodbye to them as well.  That was strange – give or take, we’d been travelling together since we came to Vietnam nearly a month ago, so not seeing them around anymore would seem all wrong!

And then it was Doireann’s last day.  We had planned to spend it soaking up some sun, but this plan went up the creek when we hit the shops.  Last minute souvenir shopping for her; Mum’s birthday present shopping for me.  Being expert shoppers, this lasted a whole day, and before we knew it, we were heading out for her last night.  And what a last night it was – out for dinner with Kenny from Sapa, we then decided we wanted to go dancing but none of the moto drivers had actually heard of Apocalypse Now, the club we wanted to go to, so we decided not to bother and headed instead for Funky Monkey, one of Dean’s old haunts.  We toasted Doireann’s last night with a couple of cocktails, and it was yet again the early hours when we rolled in.

And so, another sad farewell.  Doireann’s heading back for a couple of days with her brother in Germany before she lands back in Dublin.  Travelling with her was so much fun, we had a ball and pretty much wanted to do the same things – not only going places like Sapa and Halong Bay, but also, on occasion, lie about and watch films while eating Pringles. 

So, now I’m by myself in Hanoi.  It’s funny – whenever I’ve travelled with people for a while before, I felt a bit low after saying goodbye to them, or really liberated – one or the other – but now I feel great.  Not that I don’t miss everyone – I do, and I’ve documented a million times how much fun I’ve had with a big group of friends here in Vietnam – but I’m also someone who craves solitude by way of recharging my batteries.  Especially being here in such a great city as Hanoi – who could be lonely?

I’m writing this in real time now.  It’s my last full day in Vietnam, so I’ve spent a couple of days on catch-up admin – checking my flights for the next few days (it’s going to be an epic one, I think), anxiously checking the weather reports from Hong Kong (my flight to Perth leaves from there, but there’s a typhoon right now that’s causing lots of flights to be cancelled.  Still, my love for HK Airport is famous by now; I can think of worse places to be stranded!), and basically just getting ready to leave the country.  And I think I am ready to leave.  Not in a bad way, at all, but after 5 months in Asia, I can feel myself coming to a natural break with the continent.  I’ll write a ‘Final Thoughts’ on Vietnam, and put more in there, but this feels right.  Onwards and upwards!



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Hanoi – And then there was one”

  1. LIN ROLSTON says:

    Well, I have read your last 7 blogs today.
    Consequently, my housework has take second place to them!
    Suzanne what an experience you are having.
    Not only the different countries and places but the various people you have met, befriended etc.
    Hope that foot will be better soon, miserable to have to travel in pain.
    Stay happy and healthy.
    Love, Lin

  2. angela says:

    Hi Suze, Well, like Lin, i have just read all your latest blogs, so interesting, and you have been lucky in meeting nice people along the way. i know your next stop is with Mike and Sheila in Perth, and i can vouch that it is a lovely place and i am sure you will enjoy it,
    i really love the beach at Mullaloo, the sand being so soft there, make sure you let your feet be massaged by the sand, i found it very therapeutic for my feet[but a bit hard to walk across ] i am sure Mike and Sheila will make you very welcome during your stay, they are looking forward to it.Please give them and all the fmily all my love , and i look forward to seeing them all in November , take care
    love and prayers Angela xxx