Dec 18

About Me

by in About Me

I have always been a bit of a planner. A listmaker. I grew up in the southern suburbs of Sydney, Australia, with dreams of becoming a music teacher and teaching ballet to five-year-olds on Saturday mornings. By the time I was studying Communications at University, there was a 10-year business plan and dreams of power suits, corporate lunches and a house full of designer furniture.

After graduating in 2001, I moved into PR and Events Management and life began – car repayments, credit cards, gym memberships and all the plastic cards that seem to tie people to a particular place in life. Friends seemed to couple off two-by-two like the animals on Noah’s Ark and I became claustophobic from my office cubicle with too many walls and no sunlight. Not even my amazing ‘champagne and celebrity’ events job could keep me from being bored.

I had never had a huge urge to travel – I just needed a holiday. But looking at brochures in travel agents was addictive. I read everything I could to try and create a shortlist of ideal destinations. My only roommate and younger sister could barely navigate her way to the kitchen for all the travel paraphernalia that had taken up residence in our small two bedroom flat.

It definitely wasn’t a small world after all –  there was too much to do and I decided I wanted to do it all. To my friends this was insane, and no amount of cajoling would convince them otherwise.

“But it’s like living your whole life in the bathroom without ever seeing the rest of the house,” I said. “Wouldn’t you want to see the rest of the house?”

“No,” the friend said, shaking her head vehemently. “I like my bathroom. It’s such a nice bathroom – can’t you just leave the door open and peek out every now and then?”

“Uh, no because there’s a hallway in the way and you can’t really see…um, oh whatever.”

So another list began – temples in Laos, Everest base camp in Nepal, wildlife in Africa, pyramids in Egypt, Christmas in New York. I worked in the sister’s coffee shop on weekends and stopped buying shoes. The travel agent realised I was actually going to spend money instead of stealing free brochures and took my name off the security watchlist.

And now to what I do best – planning. The list has grown somewhat, and it’s the plastic cards and not necessarily the emotional strings attaching me to Sydney that are taking the longest to cut. I am not sure how long I will be on the road for and I have no idea what to expect when I return, but if nothing else, I can start every dinner party conversation with, ‘well, I know when I was feeding infant lions in Kenya…’.

Ok, well maybe not. But hey, if there are any hot guys around you can bet those lions are going to make an appearance.

-Sarah

Tags: ,

One Response to “About Me”

  1. From Roslyn:

    Darling Sarah,
    Love your site, hope all is going well and the money continues to flow in from car sales etc.
    Love Mum

    Posted on 26. Feb, 2007 at 9:05 am #
  2. From Jenny Pullan:

    Hi Sarah,
    All the best for a wonderful trip. I know you’ll have a great time and I’m very jealouse as I’d love to go off travelling again for a few years. So instead I’ll just have to live my travels through your trip for awhile until I manage to organise another trip. Take care Jenny 🙂

    Posted on 27. Feb, 2007 at 3:01 pm #
  3. From keanna:

    DO YOU LIKE FISH???
    remember me? you know the “sister” (and i use that word loosly) that you convenently forgot to mention!!!

    What shall i do when “snapper” is “snapping” it? and and there is no-one to ask me if i have heard the new Justin Timberlake song.. over and over and over again!!! of cause then there is the constant sunday night theroy of Lost, Harry Potter and Grey’s Anatomy!! how shall we go on??:)

    ANY-MA-HU!

    TTYL, Li’ll Hashbadankie!!!!

    xokeanna

    Posted on 27. Feb, 2007 at 5:48 pm #
  4. From admin:

    Ah Kerrie, I was saving a whole post to dedicate to the littlest sister. I shall call it ‘Flipper – she snapped right back’.

    Poor Denny.

    Love you xo

    Posted on 27. Feb, 2007 at 7:36 pm #
  5. From Nick:

    Hey Sarah,

    Its Nick from the pub last nite, didn’t get to say bye b4 u left!

    Posted on 10. Mar, 2007 at 10:33 am #
  6. From Belly (Lu):

    Bella,
    I cannot express how much i will miss you on your travels, i am however so excited for you and extremely jealous. This trip you have planned is so very red couch. When i am at home i will make sure that i frequently visit the red couch just for the memories. This is the very first life plan that you’ve ever followed through with in your life. First there was the teacher, then the vet, the muscian, yeah…. no. You were going to sew clothes and sell them to make a living… before realising that you couldn’t sew. You were then going to illustrate childrens books… before realising that you couldn’t draw. You were then a wedding planner (and got pretty far!)… but then got over it. So i’m sure you can forgive me when i say that i only truly actually believed that you were doing this about three days ago when we picked up your tickets and travel documents. Your actually doing this.
    Your my role model, my inspiration,my chef, my better half, my keeper… the other half of my brain. I will miss you, love you and be with you in Canada soon to party like only the Belle’s know how.
    Yalla bye
    Always, Belly.
    P.s KFC is so a food group…. hard.
    oxox

    Posted on 11. Mar, 2007 at 8:17 pm #
  7. From admin:

    Hey Nick – sorry I didn’t get to say goodbye but goodluck at work and uni and everything and you will have to keep me updated on all the goss! My email is mortonsarah@hotmail.com speak soon!

    xox

    Posted on 12. Mar, 2007 at 8:59 am #
  8. From admin:

    Awwwwwww bellllllllllyyyyyyyyyy……….

    xoxoxoxoxo

    Posted on 12. Mar, 2007 at 9:00 am #
  9. From Sarah Jane:

    Well sweetheart, it’s only a few hours until your plane leaves and I think it’s just really starting to sink in that I won’t be seeing your lovely smile for 18 months. You say the time will go by so fast, well we will see. nrI truly admire your courage and bravery and know that you will grow so much from this new chapter in your life. Hopefully you can educate me with lots of photos and great stories when you get back, and who knows you may inspire me to leave my ‘bathroom’ one day.nrEnjoy this amazing adventure and remember to come home to us ‘the land down under’, no matter how many cute boys or sexy men you met. You can always bring them home with you! nrAll my love, alwaysnrSarah Jane x x xnr

    Posted on 13. Mar, 2007 at 1:35 pm #
  10. From Roslyn:

    Darling Sarah

    I hope the flight was not too bad,and that you found the hostel in Bankok. Everyone I have spoken to is in awe of your trip so do enjoy yourself if only for those who are still at home and at work.

    Take Care, Have Fun.
    Lots of love
    Mum

    Posted on 14. Mar, 2007 at 12:57 pm #
  11. From keanna:

    *FLIPPER-SHE SNAPPED RIGHT BACK*

    i could right a book, publish it, print it, sell it, make millions.. and u still wont be back yet!!! argh… how long to go.. is the trip over……ARE YOU THERE YET???

    **still waiting on that special blog, for a special someone..nudge nudge**

    **message from: 42 Wallabyway Sydney**

    Talk to you Soon Sweetie!!

    XO Keanna

    Posted on 14. Mar, 2007 at 3:46 pm #
  12. From Dad:

    Dearest Sarah

    Believe it or not, this is the fourth time I have tried to contact you. Don’t know what’s wrong but not to worry. Do hope that you are looking after yourself and keeping the culture booming.

    The last time I was in Bankok it was very steamy & hot and the best place was on the way out!

    Everyone at home is great and Talisha and Baby Ashton are also good. Work for me has been pretty hectic.

    So how do you like the start of your adventure?? I do hope that you keep yourself safe and well. Mum sends her love.

    Look after yourself and I will be in touch soon.

    Love & kisses

    Daddy

    Posted on 18. Mar, 2007 at 11:20 am #
  13. From Jenny P:

    Hey Sar,
    Hope all is going well. We’ve got our new team, and not long until Kel goes. I have to say I miss our team, the newbies are nice and all, but the girlies were the best!
    Looking forward to hearing some fun stories.
    Cheers Jen xo

    Posted on 20. Mar, 2007 at 12:57 pm #
  14. From Roslyn:

    Darling Sarah

    Great to hear all your news, the story of the elephant reminds mne of the horseriding stories from Girl Guide days.

    We are all well and working hard…(thats just so you feel sorry for us). Judy has been staying with Mum and Mum has decided to move into a retirement village so it is all go at the moment. Elizabeth has had big adventures with Better Homes and Gardens which she will tell you all about and Kerrie is continuing the family tradition of representing school at netball and Harmony Day, as it beats going to class.

    We miss you, take care and have fun. Find me the best place to visit in Asia, one of these days I will get to see all the places my family visits. Lots of love.Have fun.
    Mum

    Posted on 22. Mar, 2007 at 9:00 am #
  15. From Andy:

    Hey Sarah,

    Sounds like your having a great time! Told Dad about it and he said take care and have fun. Keep having a ball and keeping the rest of us entertained with stories of the world. Finally the IT guys at work will listen when i say i want net access put on so i can see what your up to!

    Take care and always keep smiling,

    Andy

    Posted on 31. Mar, 2007 at 5:25 pm #
  16. From Geir Ertzgaard:

    Sarah

    Saw your blog through the Vagablogging site. If you plan to go to Norway, you are free to send me an e-mail if you want ideas for experiencing this country.
    It is extremely expensive, but the period from End of July to Medium September is a great time to see this country. Weather is good, nature is magnificent, towns are dreary.

    Posted on 29. Jun, 2007 at 7:10 pm #
  17. From Amy Tsaykel:

    Hi Sarah,
    I also saw your site on Vagablogging, and I love what you’re doing. It takes perspective and great gumption to choose this kind of adventure, I think. Hooray for shaking things up! Had you been in Hvar just two weeks earlier, we might have met, as I traced virtually the same route across Croatia. Best of luck, and say hello if you wind up in the States–

    Posted on 14. Jul, 2007 at 2:57 pm #

Leave a Reply