Mar 21

SE Asia: Luang Prabang

by in Laos, Travel

We officially left Thailand and crossed the river into Laos the next morning to board our boat for the two day journey to Luang Prabang. We stopped off at a village on the way, offered salt to the village chief as a gift, and lost all interest in the village once we discovered had pigs, with little black piglets running around the huts. We were all taking photos of the pigs, and not the village or view across the mountains, which the village people were quite amused at. I suppose it would be like somebody taking photos of our letterbox. But still, piglets!

We went for a walk around the village, defferred a few marriage proposals (“Umm, no. We are married. All of us. To each other”) and continued our journey down the Mekong. From here on in there would be little or no electricity and hot water and definitely no western toilets, although I am a pro at squat toilets by now, it’s all about foot placement. We stopped at a guesthouse and enjoyed a Laos feast by candlelight – made up of sticky rice shaped into a scoop, using our hands and the sticky rice to pick us the various dishes on the table. Delicious. I don’t know how I am ever going to go back to eating shit food after this trip – which is kind of like saying I don’t know how I am ever going to drink again when you have a hangover, because everyone knows junk food rocks. It’s just whether or not you admit it.

-Sarah

Tags: , ,

One Response to “SE Asia: Luang Prabang”

  1. From garry morton:

    Dearest Sarah

    Good to hear from u. It’s great that u r looking after the natives …watch out for the restless ones !! also watch out on the foot placement …it’s a matter of technique & I’m sure that you’ll be an expert very soon. Hope u fed the lovable elephant …poor things get a pretty hard time over that way.

    Everyone at home are good & send ther love. Look after yourself & have lots of fun.

    Luv

    Your Dad

    Posted on 22. Mar, 2007 at 1:50 pm #

Leave a Reply