May 08

Europe: Rome (last day)

by in Italy, Travel

On my fourth day in Rome there was only one thing left to see – the Colosseum. I confidently caught the bus and metro to the site and spent longer than expected within it’s ancient walls, imagining exactly where Russell Crowe ran up the strairs into the arena, and Joaquin Phoenix sat cheering the beasts in ‘Gladiator’.

The weather had decided it was almost summer after all, and following the Colosseum I wandered through the ruins of the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill – originally the hub for ancient Roman political, commercial and religious meetings – and sat in the gardens overlooking the city as a break from the tourist crush.

I exited the site via Piazza del Campidoglio, designed by Michelangelo in 1538, saw a queue for the museum and decided to find lunch instead, spending the afternoon wandering back through my favourite Piazzas, Cafes and Gelaterias, even managing to visit a few churches on the way without relying to heavily on a map.

I must have looked like I knew where I was going, with tourists asking me every 10mins where something was. Most were European so I couldn’t understand them anyway, although I accidentally once replied ‘no, por favor ingles’ which (I think) is ‘no, please english’ in spanish.

I don’t know where I got that from, maybe an episode of CSI:Miami. But it kind of said what I needed to say, si?

-Sarah

Tags: , ,

2 Responses to “Europe: Rome (last day)”

  1. From garry morton:

    Dearest Sarah

    So good to hear from you. Sounds like you’r fast becoming the world’s greatest traveller!!

    One of the biggest pastimes in Europe is the old pick-pocket so please watch your gear …these guys are experts ..one minute it’s there & next, it’s a gone!!

    Do trust that you will keep out of France for the time being as there apparently are riots plus …ah democracy…vive la France!..c’est la vie..c’est la guerre!!

    Everyone is ok at home …Beni is back to his usual self mum & i are great and your sisters are fine. Do hope Lu can make it!!

    Take care of yourself …you are fast becoming a great travel writer & I really enjoy the material….look after yourself and keep safe

    Lots of love

    Dad xxxxxxxxxxxxxxooooooooxxxxxx

    Posted on 08. May, 2007 at 2:53 pm #
  2. From admin:

    Hi Dad – yes, lots of pickpockets in Italy, although I don’t think they have taken into consideration exactly how many times I have watched the ‘running away from the bad guy’ scenes in Alias over the past 5 years…

    -Sarah

    Posted on 10. May, 2007 at 10:26 pm #

Leave a Reply