Jul 08

Europe: Nice (Monaco)

by in France, Travel

Monaco, one of the most veautiful and prestigious countries in the world, and the second smallest (the smallest being the Vatican) was in fact a touch more normal than I expected. But still fantastic – a good looking royal family will do that every time (you wait until William’s King, everyone will love the British Monarchy).

As I only had a day in Monaco I made my way up to the Royal Palace first thing to watch the changing of the guard, then through the tiny alleys of the old quarter down to the National Aquarium, built in 1912 by Prince Rainier I to continue his life’s work in marine science and exploration.

Following the aquarium, tired from being pushed around by a million kids wanting to see ‘Nemo’, I took a hlaf-hour mini-train ride tour around Monaco, seeing the famous casino, gardens and city centre. Apparently one of the safest countries in the world, every street is covered in video surveillance and the world reknown police force has one officer for every 15 residents.

The cathedral, just bear the palace and aquarium, had tourists lining up outside the door – mystefying until I realised it was the burial place of Princess Grace Kelly. It was a lovely church, adorned with flowers from fans, and held the tombs of every prince of Monaco scince it’s inception.

A final walk back past all the yacht and Ferrari workshops, and a detour to visit the church of Sainte Devote, built in 304AD, and I arrived back at the station to take the 20 minute train ride back to Nice, wondering whether Price Albert had any hot sons. He does, doesn’t he?

-Sarah

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply