May 22

Europe: Dubrovnik (Day 3 and 4)

by in Croatia, Travel

The following morning I spent on the grey, pebbly beach and the afternoon back in Old Town, before deciding I would have to visit the islands if I was to spend a week here, there not being much else to do in Dubrovnik.

Lokrum Island, a small national park just off the coast near Old Town, was cheap enough to get to and seemed the logical coice, so I spent a day walking the endless walking tracks around the island, not seeing another tourist for hours. There were Lyrebirds everywhere with fantastic views off the coast, and another fort that was meant to be the highlight but in reality was just more stone steps (albeit really old stone steps).

I then went home. To the most annoying person on the planet. Seriously. I can’t remember her name (because I can never remember anyone’s name) but she was from Ireland and She. Would. Not. Shut. Up.

A typical conversation went something like this:

Most annoying person on the planet (MAPOTP): Oooh isn’t this place lovely how long have you been here how long are you staying are you enjoying it I’m from Ireland and I’m soo excited to be here…

Me: Um, well…

MAPOTP: Oooh, because I was thinking of eating out but do you know when it gets dark and is it safe and where have you been and isn’t it jut lovely and where are you from and I’m soo excited to be here…

Me: Well, I’m from…

MAPOTP: Oooh, because I just think it’s lovely don’t you and have you been to the islands are you with friends is the shower nice and when do you leave because ooh I’m so excited to be here…

And so on. I ended up eating out, with dessert and two cappuccinos, to avoid going home to face her. Which worked, because she went to sleep pretty early, which I can understand, talking that much must be exhausting. But just in case even sleep couldn’t stop her, I wore my earplugs. You never know.

-Sarah

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply