Sep 25

Africa: Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe)

by in Africa, Travel

The following morning, everyone packed up the tents, with half the group leaving in the truck to cross the border into Zimbabwe and the rest of us staying behind to see Livingstone Island and the falls that afternoon.

We were told of the the political situation in Zimbabwe – the shop shelves were empty and people were crossing the border to get food – so we stocked up on essentials (read: alcohol and snacks) and then spent an hour walking arouind Livingstone looking for hot chips. As you do.

That afternoon we relaxed on the grounds of the Livingstone Hotel, a 5-star complex with beautiful green lawns speckled with daybeds and hammocks, enjoying the warm afternoon sun before boading a small boat to cross the Zambeze River over to Livingstone Island. There we were welcomed with a traditional African drink, stripped to our swimmers and jumped into the chilly waters at the very top of Victoria Falls. The current was strong, often running over moss-covered rocks, and it was a challenge itself to alternate between stumbling over rocks and swimming against the current to make it to the edge of the falls.

It was magnificent, a rainbow hidden in the mist to our left surrounded by the rush of white water up and over the 90 metre drop. We took turns laying over the edge, with one of the guides taking photos from a safe distance (my photo looks like I am laughing, but I was really screaming ‘hold on tighter!!’) before swimming back and being spoilt with a beautiful afternoon tea.

We made our way across the border as the sun was setting, to meet the rest of the group who had spent hours preparing a feast of BBQ meats and salads. We sat with a drink or two, ate and enjoyed our last meal together before each went their separate ways the following morning.

-Sarah

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply