Sep 25

Africa: Lusaka – Livingstone

by in Africa, Travel

We arrived in Livingstone to a plethora of activity choices and everyone’s energy levels skyrocketed in anticipation of white-water rafting, bungee-jumping, elephant riding and flying in various forms of aircraft (or hung by a piece of rope) over Victoria Falls.

I, not being adventurous at all (despite the whole RTW thing), wasn’t planning on making any decisions when my exited tentmate convinced me to take on the gorge swing, abseiling and flying fox package, as well as a boat trip to the top of the falls, where we would jump in and swim to the edge and hope to God we didn’t go over.

‘C’Mon, it’ll be fun!’

‘Ummmm….ok….,’ I stammered, unconvinced. I didn’t have long to dwell on it though, as we left for our sunset/booze cruise that afternoon.

We liked to call the cruise, ‘The night the staff of the cruise put us on the wrong boat, sexually harrassed every female member on the boat and forced us to stop drinking so we could spend our energy pulling drunk girls away from staff so they wouldn’t get raped.’ Or you could call it, ‘The night we babysat and had staff scream at us when they felt we should leave, then had to get rid of staff/locals who followed us back to the campsite so they wouldn’t take advantage of aforementioned drunk girls.’

Needless to say it was a terrible night, and I and one other refused to pay – a decision which was justified a few days later when we found out that one of the staff had actually just done time for raping a client.

If I had the name of the company I would post it to spread the word, but the fact that the tour company will not use them again is, at least, a move in the right direction.

-Sarah

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply