BootsnAll Travel Network



September 7: More food and travel in Kara

Today was the day I tried Ablouey, which is a kind of pot that is baked. It’s a little sweeter and breadier than pot, so it’s my favorite Togolese dish after fou-fou. I had it with grilled goat cheese cubes, which reminded me of Indian food (palak paneer). They were delicious.

In the evening I went out again with Jean, Jacques, and George. This time we went to a place George knew for grilled pork. It was a little more upscale than the previous place. I guess I’d gotten acclimated to Togo because I found it weird eating with a fork and not having a bowl to wash my hands in. The food wasn’t as good as the previous night, and not just because I got a hold of a hot pepper that brought tears to my eyes.

On the way back we stopped at the Shell station, which seemed to be the center of commerce in Kara. I looked around at the buses and bush taxis. Buses here were minivans, similar to a minivan used as marshrutka or routiera in Moldova. However, the buses in Togo are smaller, and all of the goods are tied to the roof of the car and covered with a tarp. Bush taxis are trucks with large covered flatbeds that manage to look less comfortable than a crowded minivan.



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *