BootsnAll Travel Network



Road Trip Epilogue Part 1: Philadelphia and Valley Forge

On the morning of Day 8 of the road trip (August 31), we drove into Philly. I picked up the keys and Mom started taking stuff out of the car and up the front steps while I carried it from the entryway to my third floor room. Our calves would be sore for the next few days after this adventure.

The car was quickly unloaded, so we took off for Brothers Furniture on 40th and Market. We ordered a bed for me, then we went to Lee’s Hoagie House (on Walnut between 40th and 41st) for the first hoagie of the school year. The woman at the cash register, whom I had seen over the years but had never known for sure was the owner, recognized me and asked if I was visiting. I said I was back for my Ph.D. She congratulated me, and told me to make sure I tell the employees whenever I call for delivery that the owner said they deliver to my address. It was good to be back in Philly, and better to feel welcomed rather than spit on.

After the bed was delivered and Mom had figured out how to assemble the bed frame, we had a quick dinner at Penang in Chinatown and made our first run to Ikea, the Swedish furniture wonder store. As in, I wonder how they are able to sell this furniture so cheaply, I wonder how in the world I was able to fit it in my car, and I wonder how my mother found the strength to lift nearly 100 pounds of dresser out of the car (with my help of course).

Saturday, September 1: Valley Forge

I was determined that my mother not spend the whole weekend helping me buy furniture in Philly. She was determined to keep the priority on helping me settle in. I convinced her that if we went to Valley Forge on Saturday, which was only half an hour west of the city, we could then go to the nearby Target discount store afterwards for more supplies.

We got to Valley Forge just in time to join an hour-and-a-half trolley tour. The guide explained the significance of Valley Forge, a training ground where the troops of the 13 colonies truly unified into a single army against the British. We saw a typical encampment, Washington’s headquarters, and a cathedral built in the 20th century as a memorial to Washington.

After an informative tour, we drove to the Oaks and had lunch at Max and Erma’s, a Chili’s or TGI-Friday’s-like restaurant with less “flair” (and I mean that in a good way). The waitress asked if we wanted to order cookies up front. Sure, why not? After our large lunch, we were brought a PAN of six cookies (3 chocolate chip, 3 macadamia nut)–soft, hot and fresh from the oven. Only at your own mother’s house can you get better cookies in America.

After lunch, we had one more exhausting round of shopping (Target, Walmart, and Ikea again). We had dinner with my roommate Anne at an Italian bar and restaurant 3 blocks from my new home. It was delicious.

Sundy morning came too soon, and my mother caught her flight to L.A.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *