BootsnAll Travel Network



June 14: Arrival and First Night in Japan

I sailed through immigration at Narita Airport in Tokyo, but was surprised to have my photo and fingerprint taken. Japanese immigration suddenly seemed very American to me. I sailed through customs, hit the ATM machine, and went to the JR travel service center to exchange my rail pass voucher. Fortunately, the woman at the desk spoke fluent English. She got me a seat reservation for a Narita Express train leaving in 10 minutes! I had just enough time (and leftover yen from my previous trip to Japan) to call Manami to tell her my rail car number and get on the train.

The train went through the Japanese countryside: farms and trees and rolling hills and rice fields and the occasional apartment building with laundry hanging on the line. The train was very smooth, and in no time it seemed I was at the Shinjuku train station where Manami met me. This is as busy as the Grand Central Station of Tokyo, and as difficult to navigate. I was grateful Manami was there to lead the way.

When we got to the train station near Manami’s house, her husband Koichi just happened to be there—he had come from visiting his mother and got on the same train as ours by chance. It was a lucky coincidence. We stopped at the multiple bakeries near the train stop so I could pick out pastries for the next morning’s breakfast. I took a much-needed nap while Koichi prepared dinner. For dinner Kochi made cheese fondue. We dipped toasted bread and fried foods such as pork and potatoes. This was not a day to be on a diet!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *