BootsnAll Travel Network



There Was Something In the Air, My Friend

Yesterday, I walked around Stockholm from morning till night.  It was rainy and overcast, and my first view of the city was from a bridge on the western edge.  Because of the gloomy weather and the many tall needle-like spires on the buildings in the distance, the city looked like the set of a Tim Burton film, and I half-expected to find the place populated by spindly animated characters.  But I found Swedes.  And that was good because I like Swedes.  They’re friendly and cosmopolitan.  During my walk from the bus depot to my hostel, for example, no sooner had I withdrawn a map than a guy approached me and asked if he could help.  Due to my professionally honed skepticism toward all beings human, I suspected he might have nefarious intentions–assault me with meatballs or something.  But his purpose was pure and he pointed me on my way.  That has typified my treatment here so far.

 Because it was Monday, most of the museums–of which there are oodles–were closed.  But that suited me fine.  I preferred to just meander and get a lay of the land.  I hope to continue that meandering today (Day 7) but go inside this time.

 I’m writing from my hostel room, which comes equipped with full internet access.  Check-out time is in about 5 minutes, so I’ll end for now by uploading a few photos.

SSCN0199.JPGSSCN0207.JPGSSCN0198.JPGSSCN0210.JPG

 Haven’t gotten kicked out yet, so I’ll keep writing.  I had dinners last night in the bohemian part of town (Soldermalm) at a popular vegetarian restaurant on the bluffs overlooking the city.  I say “dinners” (plural) because it was a buffet!

Stockholm is big and bustling.  Interestingly, it’s comprised of 14 interconnected islands.  There’s a very long pedestrian street (Drottinggatan) on what I think is the big island (Norrmalm) with sleek, modern stores on either side.  I stopped in a music store, heard rap playing and saw many of the same artists popular in the States, in addition to the many Swedish bands CDs for sale.  There was also a special display for one particular 1970s musical sensation–you guessed it, Abba.

platinum-abba.jpg

The small central island (Gamla Stan) is the most charming, containing the oldest buildings, narrow cobblestone walkways, and many tiny store fronts.  After dinner I stumbled upon a live band playing in a pub, fronted by a raspy-voiced guy in a wheelchair.  He sang English lyrics perfectly and chatted up the crowd in Swedish (presumably perfectly as well).

I better run before they sick the palace guards on me…



Tags: , ,

One response to “There Was Something In the Air, My Friend”

  1. Jessica says:

    Hey Spencer,

    It sounds like you are having a great time! I love reading about all your adventures and the people you are meeting.

    While you are in Europe, if you go into any more music stores, can you ask about Harrison’s CD? I think it would be awesome if you could find it. Unless I am mistaken and have confused the information Harrison has given me (which is possible), the CD is being sold in stores throughout Europe. The album is called “All Along This Land” and the band is The Source.

    Have a safe, fun time and keep us all posted. I can’t wait to hear more about all your adventures!

    God Bless!
    Jessica

  2. Kevin Jacobsen says:

    Spencer, nrnrGlad to hear your travels are going well. I’m busy visiting family in Denmark. Figured I’d swing by to check the blog. Looks like things are going well. Keep in touch and safe travels. nrnrBTW, our friends Sarah and Jane was it? They ended up joining the pub crawl that Saturday night… and I had so much fun in fact I got back to the hostel at 4am. Missed my bus at 5am because I fell asleep. Had to take a later bus, get a new flight (which i paid extra for) and then had to wait 6 hours at the airport. But you know what, how many can say they got wasted in Iceland and missed their flight. Not many I say! =)

  3. Rachelle says:

    Hey Spencer!!
    I am so glad that you are blogging all about your trip. I have stay tunned daily to hear about your new adventures. While your law degree may not be helpful in the next 6 months it does make it fun to read your blog, funny and intelligent (sounding) its a like a book!! So thanks for being a good writer, I enjoy reading each new blog and seeing the pictures. I get a vicarious thrill through each one. (and it makes my day at work go faster!)

    I saw that no one had commented so I wanted to make sure you knew that those of us left here to deal with the daily grind are reading your blog and interested in what you are up to when you are away. So keep writing!!

    Oh and since you probably didn’t celebrate Rosh Hashanah in Sweden – Happy Roshashanah!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *