BootsnAll Travel Network



Likin’ It A Latvia

SSCN1174.JPGSSCN1173.JPGSSCN1162.JPGSSCN1164.JPG

After arriving in Latvia, I explored the capitol city, Riga, with Sarah.  At any other point in my life, being in a city like this–with its architecture, cobblestone streets, etc.–would have been stupendous.  But having just come from Tallinn, I wasn’t as excited.  Riga’s Old Town is bigger and flatter than Tallinn’s and consequently less charming.  Also, I think I’d reached a point of mental oversaturation.

SSCN1167.JPGSSCN1171.JPGSSCN1175.JPGSSCN1169.JPG

Sarah felt the same way.  She’s been the ideal companion at this juncture, reciting Monty Python lines, teaching me New Zealand and Australian terminology and being all-around fab (she told me to say that).

SSCN1172.JPGSSCN1178.JPGSSCN1176.JPGSSCN1177.JPG

One unique aspect of Riga is the architecture-embedded Art Nouveau, a style of decorative design originating in 19th century Germany and embraced in Latvia.  It’s epitomized by sculpted faces bearing pained or horrified expressions.  A few samples appear here and below, ending with the most ghastly.

SSCN1170.JPGSSCN1168.JPGSSCN1165.JPGSSCN1166.JPG

 

 



Tags: , , ,

0 responses to “Likin’ It A Latvia”

  1. Sarah says:

    Spencer! Hope you made it safely to Warsaw and found your mate all right. I’ve been reading the back entries to your highly, highly entertaining blog (in between rocking back and forth) to try to help me forget your lamentable absence. All of Vilnius is upset about it. The wait staff don’t seem to be smiling at ALL.

    I’m off to see the Hill of Crosses tomorrow and then the Spit on Friday, but will be in Krakow for a few days from Sunday. So, if you’re still oot and aboot in Krakow then, it’d be wicked to catch up with my favourite Canadian again. If not, I’ll just continue to stalk you online. 🙂

    Stay safe! God bless!
    Sarah

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *