BootsnAll Travel Network



Dalhousie

And so to Dalhousie – about a week later than I had planned but surely once you get there thats all that really counts. A quite enthusiastic reception committee welcomed me off the bus – it probably ranks just behind the reception I received in Jaisalmer for sheer frenzied shuffling of feet. About 8 lads with brochures open showing off their rooms at rock bottom prices. It does come as a bit of a shock especially after a fairly substantial bus journey but once you regain your composure it really has to be looked at as a very positiive situation. You have virtually the choice of the accomodation and have a very strong bargaining position. I had a look at what was on offer and went with Hotel Monal. The walk there was tough though, through a pine forest uphill most of the way. While I am not in the worst of shape the backpack on my back certainly made the going harder than normal. Dalhousie being a hill station set up for the british administrators in nearby lahore is a very quiet town perched ontop of 4 hills each over 2000 metres. Altitude!!! Lungs were in bits by the time we rolled up to the hotel…

The price quoted for the room was 200 rupees. The room was worth 10 times that amount, god bless the off season. The balcony alone had the most wonderful view. Perfect for reading a book while warming ones hands with the odd pot of chai. Tired after the journey and the trek up there I ordered some room service and had an early night.

The next day I got up at a reasonable hour and went out to explore. Dalhousie is really nice, really quiet and serene. Two words you would never associate with india. After a lunch with some local folk I explored the region, for 6 hours I walked around the place. On one side of the town you can see the vast expanse of the himalayas while on the other you can see the foothills level off till they eventually hit pakistan and kashmir. As hillstations go you really have to hand it to the brittish planners for picking this place. At one point along the way I was beckoned over to a family having a picnic on their weekend break. They were from the state of punjab and pretty well off it seemed. One of the spent alot of his time globetrotting managing a few restaurants they have set up here there and everywhere. They have one in san francisco, I told them my old man was from there. They liked that fact so paddy joe be sure to drop the name the next time your back in your old stomping ground – might be worth a free naan with your tikka masalla!! They were very nice people, very welcoming and even let me tuck into some of the food which they had ordered.

I did have plans to visit the local wildlife park the following day but a weather front came in from somewhere and covered the place in one massive blanket of cloud. It was impossible to see more than 50 yards. Bit of a bummer, spent the day planning out the rest of my trip. I have a little over two months left in india and I have to decide whether I can dedicate some time to nepal in that time. In order to fit that in I will need to speed things up a little bit. I will give the mountains of Himachel Pradesh another 2 weeks or so then it really is time to move up the gears, grab that ellusive passport and get a little further east. My next destination is Mandi at the mouth of the Kullu valley. 12 hours on a public bus, 6 o’clock start. Can’t wait!!!



Tags: , , , ,

2 responses to “Dalhousie”

  1. Mags says:

    I’d like the name of that restaurant for my summer travels, could be lucrative 😉

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *