BootsnAll Travel Network



Bangkok

Leaving calcutta was funny – after going through the quietest airport I have ever been in we found ourselves stood outside with a bus waiting for us. When everyone got on the bus took off and stopped a distance that was barely longer than the bus itself where our airplane was parked. Brilliant Brilliant india, I can’t wait to go back 🙂

Arriving into bangkok for alot of people is a massive culture shock and for me it was no different – though in my case the shock came from being in a place that was so clean, with air conditioning. I felt absolutely filthy after calcutta, calcutta is a pure kip in so many ways. The dirt is unreal. Most of my clothes are ruined so its time for a new warddrobe and where better than bangkok to get suited and booted.

Having had to leave india so quickly I was pretty unprepared for thailand, I didn’t really do any research on where to stay or what to see. Figured I would purchase a local guidebook, get myself to a beach and then read all about the place. I got a tip for a nice hotel on the notorious Ko Shan road so I jumped on a bus from the airport and made my way to this mad house. First thing that hits me is the humidity of the place, its like being in a kettle, its not like the heat in india at all. I should’ve realised there and then that my spf 15 wasn’t going to cut it in these conditions – but more about that mistake later… I slowly inched my way down the street, peering at every sign looking for the rikkas hotel – The place was huge, couldn’t miss it. It had a pool and is without doubt the cleanest thing I have been in since I last visited the dentist.

After a quick shower and a little rest I took to ko sahn road with the single intention of getting a little merry. I met a couple of canadian girls in a bar and spent the night regaling them with my indian adventure 🙂 They were on the long road home from korea and counted (I kid you not) portlaoise as one of their ports of call along the way. On my way back from the bar I felt a little peckish and went to source some tasty thai goodness. I noticed a few local lads hanging around one particular stall so I made my way over to them and got what they were having – whats good enough for them is more than good enough for me. Noodle soup, pretty harmless usually. Within 30 seconds of the first bite passing my lips I was sitting on a door step on the ko sahn with tears pissing out of my eyes. I must have been some sight, I was in bits. Like a blind man I made my way back to the hotel room where I ran a bath and dunked my head straight into it. Tasty stuff though!!

Not very proud about the next bit – I woke up the next morning with a savage meat craving. Have had neither bacon nor beef in 4 months. I set off looking for a classy place where I could break the drought with a bit of dignity but I am a weak person. I’m blaming my need to escape the heat, escape into burger king and its triple whopper burger with extra bacon. Feel free to mock and judge but until you have spent some time in india being denied these two things I think you would be more sympatethic then.

Back to bangkok, after my burger I took off exploring. Its a massive city so I only really got a glimpse of what it is like. I took a ride on the river boat to the central dock, which then connects with a levitating luas like skytrain that goes right into the heart of the city. My plan was to take the skytrain out of the city and walk back in via sukhummit road. I liked this city, its very clean and if I was here with a healthier bank balance I could certainly do some damage in the seemingly endless rows of shopping centres and malls. They were shooting a bollywood movie in one of them which I found amusing and a little distressing in that I recognised all the stars. Twas interesting to sit there a while and watch the whole process take place.

Prostitution is something which springs to alot of peoples minds when it comes to bangkok. You don’t have to scratch the surface too much to witness it either. My little tour took me right through the red light zone – I find it quite funny to be honest. You see young attractive thai girls standing out on the street trying to seduce all that pass. Its a common sight to see and men and women from the western world walking around with a thai partner half their age. Its a little sickening and unnerving. I walked back to the skytrain and back down to the non existant ferry. Missed the last one by 20 minutes. Had to get my first spin in a tuk tuk in bangkok to drop me back. Some power in those yokes!!!

back to ko sahn and the pub for a few beers. The street is like a really hot version of temple bar. Its t-shirt heaven, I’d say there must be a couple of hundred thousand t-shirts for sale on the street. Picked up a few and some naff swimming shorts for my trip to the beach. I left the next day for ko phan nang and island off the east coast…. Hammock and chang 🙂



Tags: ,

3 responses to “Bangkok”

  1. Diarmo says:

    The google ads for this story advertise “Beautiful Thai Women – Thai Women Seek Irish Men For Love, Dating And Marriage. Join Free!”. You setting up an import business Phil?

  2. Mags says:

    Haha.

    “Campervan Hire – Cape Town: They put the Vamp back into Camp…”

    Where do Google get these ads!?!?

  3. Mairead says:

    Nana has been thinking all along that Mags was me !!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *