BootsnAll Travel Network



Luang Prabang – Day 29

Last night dinner had been great, but seeing it again a few hours later did not make for the most pleasant experience. I threw up again during the night and when I woke up this morning I felt terrible. I had a burning fever and absolutely no energy. the others left for breakfast, but I stayed in bed. The skin all over my body was hot to touch, as though I had terrible sunburn. I’m certain that its heat stroke from sitting under the blazing sun in the boat all day yesterday, but I was at a loss for what to do because I couldn’t keep down even the smallest amount of water. I just spent most of the day sleeping underneath a wet towel trying to cool myself down.

About 4:00 I was starting to feel a bit hungry which I took as a good sign and I was also very disappointed that I was wasting a day in a town I had been so excited about seeing so I ventured around the corner to a coffee shop that Brendan and Dee had recommended. I ordered plain toast because that was all I could face, but all the food looked delicious. The coffee shop, Joma, was gorgeous; it reminded me a bit of a nicer version of coffee club. I just kept thinking how much Mum would love it here. I finished my book, so I began on Bill Brysons “A Short History to Nearly Everything” which is very slow reading, but also very interesting. I drank 2 gastrolyte tablets which should really help to re-hydrate me if I can manage to keep them down.

Next I went looking for an internet café so that I could email mum and dad and tell them how sick I am and get a bit of sympathy from back home. Leaving the internet café I stepped out into the Luang Prabang night market. The market was amazing, it was the best market I’ve seen in all of SE Asia and it actually had some very appealing items, if I wasn’t feeling so shitty I might have bought a few things. I’ll head back tomorrow night.

Luang Prabang Night Market

Luang Prabang Night Market

I think Brendan really wanted to go out and get drunk, but I was far from in the mood for alcohol as were Dee and Joel so we went and watched “The Bourne Identity” at the local cinema. when I finally went to bed I was feeling slightly better and I even drank half a bottle of water before falling asleep.



Tags:

One response to “Luang Prabang – Day 29”

  1. Jane Hampel says:

    A couple of rugs from the markets would be good!

  2. Nic says:

    i am very conveniently running behind on my posts by about 10 days so that means that im no longer near the luang prabang mkts, sorry. although i’d love to know just how you propose i was going to backpack with a few massive rugs. one under each arm i suppose??

    please tell Julie that my hair is fabulous and has been so amazing, even after we had a beer fight the other night and i got doused it still dried straight. i love not having to think about it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *