BootsnAll Travel Network



Working Life

As I have already discussed, I am in Colombia for 10 weeks to satisfy the internship component of the MPA/ID program.  I am undertaking the internship with Senator Rafael Pardo of the Liberal Party of Colombia.  Senator Pardo was the first civilian Minister of Defense in Colombia, and has served as the Secretary General of the Organization of American States and as a Peace Counselor to the President.  He has also published a number of books on the Colombian conflict.     

Senator Pardo recently ran second in the Liberal Party primaries for the presidential election.  He is yet to declare what he will do when his current term as a senator concludes next month.  There is speculation that he will take over as the head of the Liberal Party after the sister of the incumbent was recently killed during a failed kidnapping attempt.  

I have been working in his office which is alongside the Senate and overlooking the residence of President Uribe (apparently if you are lucky you can catch the First Lady smoking on the rooftop).  The office is staffed by a great group of people, his secretary (Martica – who without a doubt is the real boss of the operation!), two advisors (Jorge I and Jorge II), a research assistant (Jonathan) and another bloke (John) who is responsible for everything from managing the computer system to arranging for photocopying (I was surprised that there is not a single photocopier in the six story building that houses all the Senators and their administrative staff?).  There is also a significant crew of security and various others who often pass through the office.  

Senator Pardo spends the vast majority of his time outside his office but he has made me feel very welcome when he is there and everyone else has been good fun and very willing to help me with my project.  

After having now chatted with Senator Pardo, I have a much clearer idea of what is expected of me over the next couple of months.  There exists a relatively new law (the Justice and Peace Law (JPL)) which is to govern the process of demobilizing certain members of the paramilitary and guerrilla groups.  Part of this process of demobilizing these individuals and groups includes the reparation or compensation of victims of the conflict.  My role is to estimate the total cost of this process.  

Senator Pardo gave me the first week or so to read various books and articles on the conflict in general.  The next couple of weeks I am to meet with some really interesting people such as a current Peace Commissioner, heads of various government and non-government organizations, World Bank representatives, and leading academics.  One group that is not directly represented yet is actual victims of the conflict.  I think being able to speak to people who have suffered at the hands of the paramilitary and guerrilla groups would definitely enhance my understanding of what it is like to be subject to violent conflict and lead to a more accurate final product.  

In addition to working with Senator Pardo, I am very fortunate to be meeting regularly with Luz Piedad Caicedo Delgado,   Luz is trained as an anthropologist and her previously research has included an evaluation of the Colombian Government’s policies on internally displaced victims and the impact of paramilitary demobilization on the life and security of women.  She currently works with Humanas, a non-governmental organization which promotes the rights of women in each of Colombia, Ecuador and Chile.   Luz and I met for the first time this week and she is going to be a wonderful resource and a great person to get know over the next two months. 

That’s all for now!    



Tags:

No Responses to “Working Life”

  1. Nicole Carter Says:

    Mark: Sounds like everything is going quite well. Just wondering if you have taken any picture of Colombia that you can share with us!

    Hope you’re doing great and if there is anything you need, please don’t hesitate to contact us here at WAPPP.

    All the best,
    Nicole

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply