BootsnAll Travel Network



Macau

We got a late start for Macau. As I was leaving for the Vietnam Consulate, I realized that I wasn’t going to be able to get into Macau if the Vietnam consulate had my passport when C asked me if she needed a passport to get into Macau.  So I had to postpone that idea for another day. Unfortunately, it still delayed us enough that all ferries from Kowloon were sold out until 11:30am.  So we just had lunch in HK and caught a later ferry with Anna to Macau. We decided to walk up to the Guia Fortress and wander around the sights of Macau. Unfortunately for us, it decided to pour down rain on us. We were drenched by the time we found some shelter and still had another 7 hours in Macau before taking the midnight ferry back. We used C’s camera in Macau so unfortunately, I don’t have any photos of the old fort and the burned out church facade. Macau has changed a lot over the last 15 years. They are trying to turn it into the next Vegas. Loads of casinos are going up. Sands, Rio, Palms… Luckily for me, we spent all our time walking around Macau and eating and had no time left to gamble at the casinos. Danger averted. We got the quote of the day at a bubble tea shop when C ordered a grass jelly drink (really thick jello like stuff) and they didn’t give her a spoon to eat it with. So she asks the guy how she’s supposed to eat it. He said, “just suck it up with the straw”. C’s like, I can’t do that. And the guy gave her the best look and said, “YOU… can do it!” (honey implied)

It’s really strange that many of the Mecanese restaurants have Disney Character names. We went to Pinocchio’s, but I also saw another restaurant nearby called Dumbo. Anna and Denis came to meet us at the restaurant after they celebrated Anna’s Bday. After some yummy desert and a quick look at the Sands, Denis ran us over to the ferry terminal just in time to catch the last ferry back to Hong Kong in the driving rain. Another marathon day… we finally made it home around 2am soaked and tired, but no worse for the wear.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *