BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 16: Nice, France – Venice, Italy

I love surprises! So when my morning was interrupted by a text message from Ceala saying that she had a wonderful time last night and would like to meet again, I was alarming all kinds of strangers with the grin across my face! So grin affixed, I bounced up the road (even this early in the morning) to catch my train to the magic waterworld they call Venezia. Yeah, ok, Venice! Happy now?!

Had my usual panic ridden moments along the way when all the doubts cross my mind about being on the right train and winding up somewhere in Siberia instead of Venice, but as usual my doubts subside and we pull in to Venezia Mestre on time. Unfortunately this hadn’t been the case where I’d changed at Milan! Making the connection with less than 2 minutes to go and just praying that I’d read the board correctly!!

I had pretty clear instructions to follow to get me to my hotel and just checked by asking a local shopkeeper which way it was and found I was just about there anyway.

The hotel was a lot nicer than expected! It makes a change to have my own space for a few days and not have to pay for the room until I leave! Strange how your mindset changes on things like this. It just felt so unusual! The owner seemed nice enough and gave me directions on how to get into town and what was around locally (not a great deal by the look of it).

I decided to have a quiet evening, a chance to recover from all the travel and just unwind for a night. Wound up taking a walk to try and find the local supermarket (Jeez, there really is NOTHING here at all!!!) and grabbed some food and some breakfast for the morning and headed back to the hotel, scoffed the grub and put my feet in the direction of the bar I had seen on my little jaunt! It was certainly nice to just sit outside, grab a beer, have a cigarette or two and just take in this rather quaint, quiet and odd part of Venice. I guess I hadn’t expected the outskirts to be just this quiet!!

Back at the hotel, the bottle of wine I had purchased with my grub was looking ever more appealing and before I knew it I was consuming the stuff! Have a bottle later and my body was telling me it hadn’t been such a great idea!! A decent sleep now would hopefully set me in good unhungover status for Venice proper tomorrow!

And so to bed……



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *