BootsnAll Travel Network



Memories from 2 Weeks in Guyana

The small things we take for granted: I’ve seen signs for private houses advertising “Refrigeration Done Here” and “Ice and Icicles”.

Items of Value: As I pass by the houses along the main road in Guyana, I see beach balls hanging as decorations on some house’s verandas. Riding in a minibus the other day, a driver had a brightly colored feather duster displayed on the dash.

Speaking of Minibus Dashboards: They cover the dash with tons of decorations. Guyanese flags, stuffed animals, 10 air freshners hanging from the rearview, and I guess I can add feather dusters.

Getting Ripped Off: You can buy a red or blue macaw (the big bright-colored birds) for $500 Guyanese. That’s $2.50 US. I’m not kidding. What are they going for in the US these days? Someone’s making a fortune whether it’s the “suppliers” or customs.

Bones in Food: I’m really looking forward to the day when I can put a bite of food in my mouth and not be afraid I’ll crunch a bone between my teeth. In Guyana, they just chop up everything and throw it in a pot. I’ve bitten (is that spelled right?) at least 4 or 5 bones at this point, and my teeth hurt.

Skin Rash Capitol of the World: That’s what a few of the Peace Corps volunteers I have met have told me. Lucky me and my sensitive skin. So far, I’ve only contracted one new skin rash, which is slowly disappearing. Lara says you get it from showering in the water. That can’t be good for someone long-term.

Learning to Read: I’ve just recently learned that some schools here teach the children to read not phonetically but by memorization. That means that they can’t really sound out words. They memorize the letters T-R-E-E, and then they are supposed to know that it means tree.

Old Billboard Signs: On the west coast Demurara, they use them to protect their verandas from wind and rain. I always wondered where our old billboard covers went to die.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *