BootsnAll Travel Network



Wednesday

On Wednesday, I went to Taipei 101, the tallest building in the world. It started raining today so it was kind of a messy outing. Here’s a shot from the bottom:

Taipei 101

The building was designed to resemble bamboo, which is symbolic of prosperity in Chinese culture. There’s 8 sections because the word for 8 sounds like the word for “rich.” (And, for example, the 2008 olympics in Beijing are starting Aug. 8 at 8:08 pm.)

And here’s what I saw when I got to the top:

fog

Yuck, I know. Actually the fog kinda came and went, so i did actually get to see some stuff, but not more than a mile or two.

no fog

Taipei is a pretty boring skyline, anyway…just this really tall buidling surrounded by measly 20-story ones, quite unlike Hong Kong.

Bad photo, but this is a mass damper that hangs at about the 91st floor of the building. It’s enormous. It helps minimize the amount of swaying the building does from the wind.

damper

And, mom, you wanted me to look for Louis Vuitton…found it. I don’t think these are in your price range though.

LV

Some miscellaneous items…

–Somehow I managed to hurt my achilles tendon pretty good, so if being white wasn’t enough to make me stand out, surely limping across Taipei has helped.

–Don’t worry, even though it’s raining, the mopeds are in full force. They all wear these funny looking rain suits…I’ll get a photo.

–Walking around the other night, I hear a lively, mechanical tune start playing. Must be the ice cream man, I thought. No…turns out that trash trucks play a song. It was pretty funny.

–Here’s a photo:

tpe 101

Now, notice a couple things. The tallest building in the world has a freakin SONY ad on the side of it. Next, see the signs have no english. Neither do 90% of the other places and 80% of the menus. It’s been interesting. And, most importantly, see the little walk guy? He is animated and walks when you walk, and when the little counter above him gets closer to zero, he starts running. It’s funny.

For today, I’m gonna relax a bit to help my foot get better. Might go see a Chinese movie. Then meeting up with Chad tonight, I believe.

Hope everyone is doing well back in Omaha!



Tags:

One Response to “Wednesday”

  1. Bubbha Says:

    Hope you’re enjoying the rainy weather…

    Yes, the Taipei 101 Sony ad is something they started last year to my great disappointment. For the month of January the building becomes an ad for Sony starting with the New Year’s fireworks display. Crass commercialism at its Taiwan best! (Blame all those Marketing MBA students)

    Have you had a chance to go to Wulai, Jiufen or Danshui? They make good day trips.

  2. Posted from Taiwan Taiwan

Leave a Reply