North Queensland Tropical Coast

Well G’Day all, how are ya goin’?

We’ve made from Cairns up to Cape Tribulation/Daintree Rainforest, then up to the Atherton Tablands for a couple of days, then down via Townsville to Airlie Beach and the Whitsunday Islands (that’s for the next post)!

Here’s the lagoon by the sea at Cairns, nice spot to cool down on a hot sticky day in the tropics!
Español: Cuando no te puedes bañar en el mar, esa gente se le ocurrio construir una pisci justo al borde del mar en cairns, para refrescarse del calor pegajoso de los tropicos… y ademas es gratis..!

IMG_4380.jpg
Bird’s eye view of Port Douglas Beach, nice, but petty we can’t just dive into any of these beautiful beaches, we see, those damn stingers, crocodiles and sharks all along the North Queensland Tropical coast this time of year! People just don’t go into the water unless there’s a protective net, and they tend to be about 10 square metres, so not much fun either!
Esp: Vista de la playa de Port Douglas, muy bonita pero lo mismo no te puedes bañar, medusas que pican, cocodrilos y tiburones hambrientos, asi no hay quien meta el pie en el agua, tienen redes especiales pero tienen 10 m, como se puede ver el la foto (con lupa)

IMG_4422.jpg
When you can’t go swimming on the beach you head into the rainforest! This is Daintree Rainforest at Cape Tribulation north of Port Douglas… oh, yea, then there’s the mosquitoes!!!! Guess its the lesser of 2 evils, much prefer a mosquito bite to a possibly fatal sting from a box jellyfish, or a lump taken out of me by a croc or shark!! So now we’ve got polka dot skin, lots of big itchy red spots… And yes we have been putting on tons of repellant, but they still always find a spot to suck on!
Esp: Como no nos pudimos meter en el mar, nos fuimos a andar por el bosque tropical.. vimos muchos bichitos y mosquitos resistentes a las cremas antimosquitos…. los muy ‘malasangres’ y ahora tenemos los brazos decorados, estabamos pensando en jugar a unir los puntitos con boli a ver si sale un dibujo interesante

Picture 002.jpg

The Curtain Fig tree in the Atherton Tablelands, we headed inland up to the plateau along the coast that is the Atherton Tablelands, lots of huge waterfalls, lush green farmland, not unlike Ireland!!!
Esp: Como traduzco esto .. este arbol que parece una cortina es una higuera en Atherton , es una planta parasito que va trepando otros arboles para llegar hasta arriba buscando la luz pero a la vez le va ahogando hasta que lo mata, cae y empieza a trepar otro arbol , este es el arbol mas visitado de Australia, segun los aussies.

Picture 007.jpg
Kuranda had this cool Honey shop, and well couldn’t resist for a funny pic!
Esp: Cada vez que miro estas fotos no puedo parar de reir.. james esta precioso como abejita..! 🙂

IMG_44821.jpg  IMG_44832.jpg
Barron Falls, just outside Kuranda, not too far from Cairns

Picture 006.jpg

No idea what this type of bug is, so feel free to check out the encyclopaedias, nature books and websites and share the knowlegde!!!
Esp: Si alguien quiere buscar el nombre de este bichillo colorido, si no nos inventaremos un nombre para el.

IMG_4468.jpg
Millaa Millaa falls in the south of the Atherton Tablelands

IMG_44921.jpg
Another pic of the Curtain Fig Tree, amazing tree. This fig tree first grows as a creeper along another tree to reach the sun at the top of the forest, then it starts to send down more roots along the ‘host’ tree, it covers the original host tree so much that it smothers it and kills it, as you can see it ended up slightly diagonally, as the host tree died it fell to the side and the Fig Tree’s roots went all along the trunk of the host tree, creating amasing curtain like effect, according to one of the rangers we met at this tree he said further into the rainforest there are trees like this but 5 times the size, unbelievable!
Esp: En esta foto de la planta ‘trepa’ se ve un poco mejor lo que he explicado en la foto anterior uno de los arboles se ha caido sobre el otro, y eso no ha impedido a la planta en su conquista por el sol tropical… creando el efecto cortina que tantos turistas atrae, aparentemente mas adentro los hay mucho mas grandes… salimos desenfocados pero al menos se ve el tamaño de la cortina.

IMG_4484.jpg

Up on the plateau it’s so green and grassy, just like home, ahhhh… (but not as cold, hahaha!). There’s even a town just south of here called Innisfail, not really sure how the Aussies pronounce that… But funny to see a town with such an Irish name!
Esp: Hicimos la foto desde el coche conduciendo hacia la costa, y este fue el peazo de paisaje durante todo el camino, no se porque pense que Australia seria mas seco y no la viva imagen de Irlanda, hasta pasamos un pueblo con nombre irlandes : Innisfail

IMG_4498.jpg

2 geckos celebrating St. Valentine’s Day!!!
Esp: Esta imagen tan amorosa es en el cuarto de baño del camping, las paredes estaban llenas de lagartos comiendose bichitos .. Se estuvienron en esa posicion mas de 20 min .. todo un campeon..!

IMG_4514.jpg
Townsville, further south, getting warmer, but still rained a lot here… so we didn’t stick around long, not much to doo either!
Esp: Townsville, paramos para dormir y seguir el viaje para escaparnos de la lluvia

Townsville

So there ya go a few more pics for your entertainment! And don’t forget to post a comment, we really would love to hear what you think!

Adios amigos!

James & Quene

17 Responses to “North Queensland Tropical Coast”
  1. Quene & James 20 February 2006 at 3:55 am #

    Hi All,
    Still in Airlie beach , as it was expected (otherwise will be not aventure) the campervan broke down:
    As we came back from the Whitsunday islands on the parking we notice the fan belt was very noisy but we continued… as the sound stopped all the water and battery lights flashed, we stopped, we called the RACQ to see if they could help us, we filled the tank with water and start it again, after 100 m the temperature rised so we stopped again, lucky enough us there was a mechanic available in Airlie beach and we were just 5 Kms outside Airlie Beach…
    He checked the engine and found the belt that cools down the water and recharges the battery completely broke (and we thought for a campervan that is going to do 3000 Kms they should check these things a little bit better).
    The good news was he could fix it, the bad news was not until Monday (it was Saturday evening!) we couldn’t drive , we have to stay two nights in Airlie beach as the next day was Sunday, delay the trip and try to contact the owner, being SUnday we can’t reach him (probably busy playing golf).
    The pickup truck came and the guy told us he couldn’t take us in the truck and told us to call a taxi…we thought, stay out in the dark waiting for a taxi, oh no, no, so we begged him and he said OK, very reluctantly, going on about insurance etc…

    We automatically thought of the film ‘Wolf Creek’ , James told him no way and the man got very serious, Quene was feeling her pulse acelerating just thinking of all the mosquitos and bugs, the dark and the waiting in the middle of nowhere… and the headlines in the newspapers in few days time.. when it gets too adventurous it’s not funny any more. On the way to town he was laughing, telling us about these stories of the people he had to leave on the road and their faces ( it was very funny for him .. but not for us… and we were thinking : ” Did they ever found them afterwards..? 30.000 people go missing every year ….” mmmmm

    Anyway here we have a little story to tell our grandchildren.

    So still in Airlie Beach enjoying the one street town and the sun ..
    Will we make it to Sydney on time??

    Adventures on the road to be continued…… 😉

  2. Mairead Fagan 20 February 2006 at 12:05 pm #

    Hey guys
    Mairead here, still reading – it looks great, Im so jealous. Just to let you know I have passed your blog address onto my sister, Sue. Sue is working as a researcher for crazy Hector from TG4’s travel show – next season he is off to Oz so she is researching it. So you never know he might be inspired by your blog – so keep up the good work. She’s off to Oz herself in April so she gets to do all her trip research – and get paid for it! nice one eh?!

  3. Ruairi 20 February 2006 at 1:15 pm #

    Hey Mairead, whats for dinner?

  4. Mairead Fagan 20 February 2006 at 4:42 pm #

    Hey Ruairi from the UK let’s take this one offline so I can kick your virtual ass
    🙂

  5. James & Quene 21 February 2006 at 3:11 am #

    Sorry to hear about the breakdown! Airlie Beach is quiet boring, you should have gone diving again. When are you back in Sydney so we can get a babysitter and meet up?

  6. Nadine Fagan 21 February 2006 at 3:14 am #

    Ooppps, will try this again, everyone will be wondering why you need a babysitter!! Although you did mention your grandchildren!!!

  7. Larry 22 February 2006 at 3:09 am #

    Hello from everyone here. Still reading the blog. Good – and scary – story from Airlie beach. Take care of yourselves….

  8. admin 23 February 2006 at 12:40 pm #

    Mairead,
    cool that you passed it on to Sue, and Sue if you’re reading, or even Hector too any questions just drop us a line on james_murphy@hotmail.com
    The next post will be a good one too (sure aren’t they all – hey how about a vote for the best post to date…???), special Islander theme…

    Oh and Ruari so did you have to cook and do the washing up too, or was it take away?
    Bon Appetit !

    James & Quene, (aka Nadine)
    Airlie wasn’t too bad, we decided to drown our sorrows in a few bottles of wine, to wash down the oysters, scallops and tuna and snapper, we decided to treat ourselves!!!
    We’ll be back in Sydney no later than the 7th March (that’s when we have to give our home on wheels back), and we leave for Auckland the 10th, but if we’re ahead of schedule we’ll let you know. Now in Hervey Bay, just back from a day trip to Fraser, cool pics for the next post!

    Larry and class!
    Yea bit of bad luck, but hey it’s part of the big adventure, can’t always go according to plan 🙁
    Make sure you guys tune in again for the next episode in a couple of days, you won’t be dissapointed! We weren’t!!!!

    Calenco,
    It was funny we were both listenng PJ Harvey nearly at the same time.. well actually at the same moment I received your text was Nick Cave: PJ’s ex.
    As I told you is nice to hear good music while driving like film with a good soundtrack and all those landscapes..
    It is good we are listening Aussie bands as well, not much Aussie music make it into Europe.. we will have small list as we get familiar with the sounds ‘downunder’..
    The radio station is very similar to phamtomfm in Dublin … is called Triple J ( JJJ I guess)
    Checking the website now. 

    http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/

    By the way

    Mairead and Nadine: You both have the same surname..so maybe you are related, that would be funny!!!! 
    Talk to you later

  9. Mairead Fagan 23 February 2006 at 2:28 pm #

    Hey well I dont know of any cousins called Nadine so if we’re related it’s not closely! Dad grew up in “Ballyer” aka Ballyfermot. Mam’s from the Inner City so I am made of tough stuff!!!
    As for the best post, well for it’s a competition between Yangshuo, Pingyao and probably Ayers Rock – the Rock ones were absolutely stunning, Quene. I loved Pingyao cos its so traditional-looking, the whole reason for travelling is seeing places like this, so far removed from what you know, and Yangshuo because it is exactly like in one of those long yokeys you see hanging on the wall in Chinese takeaways – that you always thought were too beautiful to exist. Ha Long bay in Vietnam is similar in scenery, it was a very relaxing boat trip when we were away. I am really looking forward to the upcoming posts too as I am really interested in NZ and well, we are thinking about South America for the holidays – prob Argentina, cant remember if you plan to go there or not. Keep on truckin!!

  10. melissa 24 February 2006 at 9:45 am #

    hey i loved airlie beach stayed there for ages its very quiet south from there so hope all is well
    went to see james brown at music festival on sat and billy connelly last night
    he went on for 4 bloody hours amazing he can talk so much crap for that long
    and is still so funny
    brill!!!!!!!!!
    hope your enjoying it
    wats fraiser like heading there for easter
    so your back soon cant wait to see ya
    niamhs phone number is 0410567276 call her when your in brisbane and she should look after ya you know where she lives so she is expecting you to call,,,,
    take care babies love you mel xxxxxxxxxxxx

  11. Nadine Fagan 25 February 2006 at 12:27 am #

    Thanks Captain Obvious for the surname connection. I know some people called Paul, Mary, Sandra, Eoin, Karen etc. Murphy……, any relation??!!!
    Mairead, our family name is from Northen Ireland so very unlikely a distant relation, but cool surname anyway, don’t you think!
    At Frasier already! Will get a sitter for the Thursday night, 9th of March, lets go out for dinner – thai??
    See ya

  12. Johanna 25 February 2006 at 2:29 pm #

    Hi Christina and James!
    I doubt you guys remember me but I was on the boat in Cairns with you guys. Christina gave me this link the last night. I just wanted to say what amazing pictures you take.. and wish you a great glopal trip. I’m actually meeting up with Nick in June to hopefully continue a great romance, hee hee… So glad to have met u. Peace.

  13. Inma 25 February 2006 at 6:23 pm #

    siseponeelmecanicofarrucoconquenomellevalerobolafurgonetaQueMieDDDoooooo000000OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    pero veo que soys unos maquinillas en eso de llegar a un acuerdo jejjejej asi que no me voy a preocupar demasiado por vosotros 😀

    me ha encantado la historia del arbol FigO… aunque un poquito creeeepy no???

    y ya que he visto por ahi arriba que hablais de music con Calenco.. pues mira, algo pa que escucheis cuando podais: Arctic Monkeys… aversiosgustan….

    besoscongelaitosdefrio

  14. Quene & James 26 February 2006 at 4:44 am #

    Hello from Surfer’s Paradise..!!

    Let’s see if we stop for a bit to create the next post we are acumulating millions of pics to show you..
    But we cannot find the perfect internet cafe. There is a chain called Gossip (Is cheap fast and you can upload photos easy pisy).. but they are hidden under the stones so promise next town we will look for it.
    The one we are now doesn’t have USB, and there is not other way to upload pics .. so sorry guys ..
    we can’t wait to show you what’s coming next…!!

    Mairead,
    I am agree with you.. so far Pingyao is in my heart forever (Quene) ..that town was magic.. and Ayers Rock impresive…But to have in my arms baby Kangooros was the ultimate pleasure.. they were so cute !!
    Unfortunatelly we saw lots of kangooros dead on the road hit by trucks (I guess..because they drive like maaaaad).. but is not space and the roads are too busy to stop and check if there is babies inside .. so again Chris ‘Brolga’ was doing an amaizing job for those animals ..
    Also we have a lot more surprises soon

    Nadine,
    We will let you know as soon as we get closer to Sydney .. Tomorrow there is a Surfer competition near coolangatta ( I can’t remember the name now).. so that will be our next stop this evening.
    Fraser was very nice and all this stories of the island they say that is the biggest sand island in the world… and the dingos there are dangerous apparently .. they are the purest you can get ..
    When they told us that is dangerous to feed them and all the stories of people who snake bit them and the dingos finish them off… I guess this is Australia wild side .. we don’t have all these wildeness in Europe anymore.
    … we thought in the tour to Kakadu and the tour guide putting meat all over the place, close to the tents.. to hear them around us outside the tent sniffing ..Quene so scared ..and the mark in the tent the next day.. thinking on it now thats was a bit irresponsible from part of the tour guide (he might be reading us.. but thats what we think )… mmmm…anyway..

    Hi Johanna,
    Nice to hear from you and Nick, it was nice conversation the last night in Cairns… trying to fix the world .. hahaha… !! And the art…. everybody has an artist inside so definetly you should have a go.. I hope when I comeback I can put some of the faces and landscapes and crazy ideas I saw in canvas ..
    Are you going to stay in Australia for much longer ?? keep checking the blog .. we can’t wait to see something new… like New Zealand and South America.. Australia was great but 2 months is enought for the moment..
    So keep in touch .. say hello to Nick from us .. Ah.. y puedes practicar tu español tambien 😉

    Inmaaaa…!!
    Esta molando el viajecito en coche.. el paisaje es como Irlanda pero las carreteras son Australianas ..juas ..nunca pense que esto seria tan verde.
    hablando de Artic Monkeys …. ayer en Triple J (la estacion de radio que escuchamos.. que esta genial ,buena musica y no ponen esos anuncios idiotas cada tres minutos como en el resto)
    Pusieron un programa y el tema : grupo o letra de la cancion era monkeys asi que pusieron desde The monkeys, Artic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chilli peppers Bob Dylan y un monton de canciones con monkey en la letra .. fue muy divertido ..
    El arbol ese es un arbol parasito….y es que hay unas cosas tan raras por aquiiiii…
    A ver si encontramos un internet cafe que podemos subir fotos y os enseñamos las pequeñas sorpresitas que tenemos preparadas.. 🙂
    Ayer hable con aspichurriki.. estabamos viendo el rugby en un pub irlandes .. a las 2 de la mañana y vimos que era setanta.. le mande un txt para que moviera el logo… y nos llamo ..
    Alvarooooooooo escribete unas lineas.. no seas timido!! jajaja.. sabemos que estas ahi…!!
    Estoy escuchando U2 ahora y eso me recuerda que ya queda poquito para verles .. a ver si me dejan entrar con camara y hacemos un especial U2…..and I take yous to the other place..
    It’s a beautiful daaaaaaay…!!!! 🙂 Os mandamos un poquito de sol y muchos besos…!

    See ya guys ..

  15. Quene & James 27 February 2006 at 6:17 am #

    Woooowww… the surfer competition stars tomorrow and we were watching some of the guys practising … looks really cool.. sooner or later we will show you the pics.
    Girls … the boys here look stuning… hahahaha!!
    Mairead ,
    Yes we go to Argentina twice.. from Patagonia going up to Buenos Aires ..maybe in June or aroud that time.. and then from B.A. to Braaaaasil…(lalallala lalala ) in September or around that time.

  16. Chong Hoop 15 January 2010 at 9:18 pm #

    First off nice site. Im unsure if it has been addressed, however when using Safari I can never get the whole site to load without refreshing several times. Could just be my laptop. Appreciate your work

  17. J&Q 31 January 2010 at 5:26 pm #

    Thanks Chong,

    Glad you like the blog, not sure what that problem is with Safari though, seems fine with IE and Mozilla though. Might be a system wide thing with blogs.bootsnall.com

Leave a Reply