Surfers Paradise – Gold Coast and Janis farewell

Welcome to Surfers Paradise

This place is massive….! It is in the heart of Gold Coast – Queensland –Quene’sland 😉 . Huge beaches with big waves, skyscrapers , great night life and lots of mad people ready to enjoy themselves .
The weather was very bad so what else you do when you can’t swim in the sea or do outdoor sports … Go out!!! We manage to the the 4 – 6’s .. 4 days in a row until 6 in the morning , pouring rain in the morning but it was warm rain and the place was beautiful and vibrant ( perfect for singing in the rain type of thing ..night life was deadly ..we took turns for babysitting Leon and out we went ..!!
We might comeback at the end of February.. who knows?
Español -Este lugar es inmenso.. En el corazon de la “Costa de Oro” . Interminables playas , olas gigantes, rascacielos, mucha marcha y gente loca preparada para divertirse a tope..
No nos hizo muy buen tiempo ( tormentas de verano a lo grande ) asi que que se puede hacer cuando no puedes ni bañarte ni hacer otro deporte de aventura .. Pues Marchuki…!! Hicimos 4- seises … 4 dias seguidos hasta las 6 de la mañana, llovia a cantaros pero hacia tanto calor que era una gozada cantar y bailar bajo la lluvia .. 🙂 .. Hicimos turnos con Leon asi que nadie se quedo sin disfrutar de la marcha de Surfers..
Nos pilla de paso a finales de Febrero asi que volveremos ..!!

This is the endless Sufer’s Paradise beach, walking from the Motel to the city center .. the weather was stormy ( only by nignt ) so the sea was rough and no swimming in the sea was allowed…
Esp- Las playas en Surfer’s Paradise no tienen fin .. aprox 16 km the arena blanca . Durante nuestra estancia hubo muchas tormentas ( pero solo durante la noche ) y no pudimos bañarnos en el mar ..las olas eran gigantes , demasiado incluso para surferos.

From here they check people on the beach, control the currents the waves and check for sharks , one girl died in Brisbane during these days by 3 bull sharks -they’re the most aggresive , the bad weather and the crazy currents bring them near to the shore … Underwater we are not on the top of the food chain as we are on land… Experts are afraid that sharks might change their taste for humans instead of seals…. poor thing .. ( cross fingers for the great barrier reef)
Esp- Desde aqui controlan el estado de la playa , las corrientes , las olas y sobre todo los tiburones , durantes esos dias una chica murio , 3 tiburones la atacaron mientras nadaba , cuando el tiempo y el mar estan revueltos las corrientes acercan los tiburones a las playas .. no pudieron hacer nada por ella… pobrecita .. ( dedos cruzados para la gran barrera de coral)

Can you get a more typical image of the lifeguards on the beach than that ..?
Tipica imagen de los salvavidas en las playas ..

This is Q1 the biggest residential skyscraper in the south hemisphere… or is the world ? .. Doesn’t matter … they are planing to build more and taller.. it’s difficult to imagine how Surfer’s Paradise looked 30 years ago, when a few hippies arrived and slept on the beach in hippie volkswagen vans ..
Esp-Este es Q1 el rascacielos residencial mas alto del hemisferio sur , o del mundo (aqui les gusta fardar mucho con estas cosas , asi que no se sabe) , estan planeando ya mas edificios y mas altos . Es dificil imaginarse este lugar cuando los primeros surferos llegaron y dormian en las tipicas furgonetas volswagen hippies ..

This was the 3rd night ..Not sure how we manage not to get too tired ..we conquered the dance floor all night long … and enjoyed the friendship of the locals (who we gave them the website so please put some coments ) and the music on the street coming back home ..
Esp –Tercera noche de marcha,no se ni como logramos no estar cansados con tanta fiestuki.. conquistamos la pista de baile durante toda la noche, disfrutamos de la simpatia de los locales y los musicos por la calle volviendo a casa.

In Nadine’s house , thanks for the delicious BBQ.. Leon, Jack and Aaron.. It’s great when cousins meet living so far away.
En casa de Nadine , muchas gracias por la BBQ. .. es genial cuando conoces a tus primos que viven tan lejos

They are so cute !!!
Pa’ comerselos

Sadly this was Janis last day at the airport .. It’s nice to see the family reunited down under.. we miss you already..!!
Ohhhh .. El ultimo dia de Janis en Australia en el aeropuerto .. os echamos de menos ya..!

See you the next post !!

One Response to “Surfers Paradise – Gold Coast and Janis farewell”
  1. TO QUENE AND JANIS 12 January 2006 at 5:55 pm #

    You two are so superb in that picture… I love it !!!

    Uauuuuu !

    I wonder if dozen of sharks did not wander around you… like doggiessss…

    ; )

    *

  2. lil sis-janis 12 January 2006 at 9:01 pm #

    hey hey hey!
    depressingly just in the door and had to check the posts,didnt get chance down under,
    we arrived safe and sound,all missed leon madly.
    hey to calenco you mad talaght mary!and happy new year to all you mad spanish!and all other friends and family tuning in!jay how you doin and emma yous had mad one too!
    soooooo sad coming back to wind and rain and darkness at 6 in evenin.
    god we were going out in brightness and coming back in brightness!shockin,chriss you such a bad influence!hee!hee!
    got all dizzies again jetlag?
    gotta head n get ready for work,ahhhh
    were that smallest violin again
    talk soon what rest of plans for oz?
    slan

  3. calenco 12 January 2006 at 9:09 pm #

    Janis, you look so pretty gorgeous !

    And Leon is becoming such a small little gentleman just in few months, so cute !

    Kissssses to all Murphy’s, all our love sunshinning…

    *

  4. Richie 12 January 2006 at 10:58 pm #

    Theres a night club crawl you can do too where they bring you round to the various venues by bus. Its good fun and you can get schlosed as much as you like as transport is there when you want it. You should ask in your hostel. Maybe you should ask if they remember someone in a giant chicken outfit rampaging through the bars and harrassing KFC staff.

  5. Quene & James 14 January 2006 at 7:33 am #

    Calenco,
    Why the Aussie flag comes in your comments instead of the Spanish??
    That happend as well to Inma..Can you teletransport yourself ??

    My birthday is around the corner next thursday the 19th …that reminds me that is Tony’s and ..Blanca same week.
    Tony ..How old are you nowww…? hahahaha 😉
    Blanca , you probably will tell me the story that you were 32 and 33 when you left the hospital giving birth to me … in my 33’s I will probably go for a swim..

    Is going to be nice and warm for once for my birthday.. I can’t believe it ..!!
    We will go to see Mariza the 18th (She is a portuguese singer who sings fados ..and signs like an angel)
    Elvis Costello and lots more artists play as well but most of them are sold out ..is the sydney festival so plenty of things to do around these days

    Janis,
    We are back to square one now, again in Bondi beach , we were walking along the coast to the rest of the beaches is nice… Bronte beach apparently was the first surf beach in the world ..mmmm …whatever..!
    We are missing you lots ..I hope you had a good time … we can meet again somewhere in southamerica,..( sounds deadly !!)

    Becki,
    When you are older you can come to Aussieland to celebrate your birthday in the summer…nice !
    Big kiss to all the murphys

    Richie,
    You still has the chicken outfit …? I will get you in the NZ post with the outfit and all.
    James wanted to tell you something but he just left , he might call you later to see . how we organize the trip when we arrive in NZ… we still have a month here though.
    we are going to rent a van and drive from Cairns all the way down to Sydney or probably Brisbane and catch a plain .. (is more that 3000 Km)

    Tomorrow we go to the blue mountains ..where the three sisters are ( Blanca , Cristina & Beatriz) Anyway , you will see them in the next post .
    Kisses to all ..

  6. Quene & James 14 January 2006 at 7:44 am #

    Hi all again ,
    In the last post ( Koalas) Larry explains the tradition over the Chinese new year ..
    The days and why and what they do ..
    Is very interesting , have a read ..!
    See ya’s

  7. lil sis-janis 15 January 2006 at 4:59 pm #

    ah betsy i had a brill time
    just miss it all sooooo much,trying to do me detox,u?yeah sure id love to meet up some where else along the road,where else you headin to?itd be good to meet up in spain maybe for few days and bring?
    id say you get some photos of the blue mountains,wouldnt it be cool for you to do one of those three piece paintings like in nadines of the three sisters,
    so you get to try the surfing yet?
    calenco-tanx we need the sunshine,
    ye leon growin too fast for me,make me feel so old,hows elio-i bet hes the same he prob looks completely different now to when i last cn him-big hugs n kisses to you all too

  8. Ruairi 16 January 2006 at 5:35 pm #

    typical image of lifeguards?
    But wheres the red bikinis and slow-mo’ shot? aghhhh

    Ps. they think that girl was attacked cause she was in the water with her pet dog, those bull sharks get attracted by animals in the water for some reason, scary stuff.

  9. lil sis-Rebecca 16 January 2006 at 10:10 pm #

    Hey J+Q…Ye i was askin mam if i cud go 2 australia in the summer…So how are yous gettin on? I hope yous are well….Hello to Calenco and every 1 else….Love Rebecca xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx
    xxx

  10. James & Quene 17 January 2006 at 8:14 am #

    Larry,
    Thanks again for the Chinese New Years explanation!

    Janis,
    we all had a great time too with you guys! Missing you guys already! We just got back from the BLue Mountains, reminds us of home, rain, rain and more rain… Just working on that post! Give Leon and the gang hugs from all us down under!

    Ruari,
    Think you’re getting California/Hollywood mixed up with Australia! Surf/Lifeguards are usually well covered up coz of the blistering sun! (Bummer!)
    Been a few sightings of sharks around Sydney too, think its the bad weather that’s driving them in towards the coast for shelter.

    Hi Rebecca
    Irish Summer is Winter here in Sydney… so not sure if it would be really that warm, have a chat with Mel, see what she thinks! Miss you guys lots! Keep it good!

    Luv
    James n Quene

  11. Richie 19 January 2006 at 8:58 pm #

    Hey Guys,
    A sydney winter is typically, around 17 to 20 degrees celcius most of the time and no rain. Better than an Irish summer :).
    Rich.

Leave a Reply