China – Beijing

Hi all,

We’ve added some cool photos to the post on Hong Kong, so check them out, you’ll be amazed!!!

Well here we are in Beijing, and it’s freezing!!!!
We arrived last night from Hong Kong and just headed straight to the hotel.

Today we visited Tian’anmen Square and the Forbidden City.

Tian’anmen square is huge, apparently the largest public square in the world. At the Southern end is Chairman Mao Tse Tung’s mausoleum, we didn’t venture in aas it was closed today. At the other end accross the street is the Forbidden City (“Forbidden”, as only the Emperors were allowed entry, the average Joe was “forbidden” entry!)

Entrance to Forbidden City:

The Forbidden City is a maze of halls and steps, squares and gardens, being the biggest monument in Beijing and nearly the largest after the great wall, there are crowds of Chinese tourists as well as foreigners too! Some foreign dignataries were visiting today too. we could tell from the helicopter that circled round the palace several times, and the guards that cordoned off half the complex… Think is was some American Governer, probably Mr Schwarzenegger, think he’s in town this week mith in tow with Mr Bush!

Two VIPs at Forbidden City!

On the way out we saw this Chinese family whose kid had his baloon stuck up a tree, I tried to catch it for him, but the wind blew it away, I put him on my shoulders to see if he could reach, but then everybody started taking fotos of the of us!!! We’ve been the subject of many a Chinese persons photos today!

James helping a Chinese boy!

Guess they see us as some kind of tourist attraction too!!! Hahaha….
(Not sure if you see the elipsis(…) in the bottom of the line or in the middle, might be the way it’s displayed in Chinese Windows!!!)

Espanol

Hola a todos

Hemos anadido fotos de Hong Kong , asi que echalas un vistazo que vas a alucinar!!

Ahora estamos en Beijing y hace un frio “que te pelas”.!!!
Hoy hemos visitado la plaza de Tian’anmen y the Forbiden City

La plaza de Tian’anmen es grandisima, aparentemente la plaza publica mas grande del mundo.
En la parte sur esta el mausoleo de Mao Tse Tung, no hemos entrado porque estaba cerrado.
En el otro lado esta el Palacio Prohibido ( estaba prohibido porque solo los emperadores podian entrar)

La Ciudad Prohibido es un laberinto de salas , plazas y jardines , siendo uno de los monumentos mas grandes de China
y el mas grande de Beijing , muchos turistas y hoy estaba alguien importante ( igual Bush o Arnold S) ya que habia un
helicoptero rondando hasta que han cortado varias partes y no nos dejaban entrar hasta que se han ido.

A la salida vimos a una familia china sufriendo porque el globo de su hijo estaba enganchado en un arbol,
James intento cogerlo , primero saltando y luego subiendo al nino ,
y todo el mundo aprovecho para hacer fotos 😉 . ha estado muy curioso..! Hasta nosotros eramos motivos de fotos.

14 Responses to “China – Beijing”
  1. Ruairi 14 November 2005 at 3:56 pm #

    They probably think James is an American basketball player, like Yao Ming, the Chinese sensation of the NBL.
    You’re picture is going to be on some families wall,
    “the day we met The Bird or was it Magic Johnson?” they’ll be saying.
    And Quene is probably the tallest girl they’ve ever seen, “Eih Carumba” the kids will be saying.

  2. calenco 14 November 2005 at 4:01 pm #

    Ruari,

    how does “Eih carumba” mean in English?

    This is Quene’s sisters, (quite smaller)

    Please Quene & James, keep warm. I’m sure you get good things for cold weather.

    Shalom

  3. calenco 14 November 2005 at 4:17 pm #

    Joder, en Hong Kong debe llegar un recibo de luz del cagarse…

    Les regalan la electricidad?

    *

  4. Richie 14 November 2005 at 6:25 pm #

    Maybe they were fascinated by your Zogabongs eh James?

  5. Jason 15 November 2005 at 9:36 am #

    Hi,did you remember me?I am Jason.I hope you can remember me.Do you feel China is a good place?Did you go to the Great Wall.Four years ago,I had went to there.

  6. Frankie 15 November 2005 at 10:40 am #

    The photos are very beautiful.I hope I can go to Beijing in the future.

  7. Mark A 15 November 2005 at 3:17 pm #

    Great pics of China. Love the one with the kids on your shoulders! Hope you get to visit the Summer Palace soon as that’s really grand. Enjoy the Wall and hope you 2 are enjoying the food.

  8. lil sis 16 November 2005 at 1:44 pm #

    hey
    sorry it been so long since mad murphys been in touch,your poor computer crashed(oooops!),told you your mad not putin it up,need super(computer jimbob)man to sort all.Using old computer now which is grand.
    So, oooh my god the amount you been up to in such short time,aaaaah, its all so amazing,hey christina bet you be paintin all these amazing photos for years to come,aaah they’re beautiful,never thought id say a cow is so cute,and the skyline,the sunset and the dogs,MASSIVE!
    So how old are you kids in school?fairly good at english!!!,the kids in india looked fairly young,fair play!Hi to you all from Ireland! In irish-Dia duit!
    So they all into designer gear?They all head to toe?Fairly wealthy, eh?Nice!
    Leon got bit jealous when he seen little boy on shoulders,he misses too of you and mel and especially jay,have they got this address?so will you make it to oz while we there?leave 26th
    all the best with rest of travels,
    safe and fun
    slan,j

  9. lil sis 16 November 2005 at 4:52 pm #

    HEY, jAMES AND qUENE! HOPE YOUS ARE GOOD TIME! MISS YOUS LOTS !SEND SOME MORE PICS + POST CARDS!!!AN BHFUIL TU GO MAITH? TA ME GO MAITH!! SLAN ! I MISS YOUS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

    LOVE REBECCA!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

  10. admin 17 November 2005 at 5:46 am #

    Hi All!!!

    We had a crazy day yesterday climbing the Wall, a 10km hike on a mostly crumbling and very steep wall was quite tricky, at some spots the slope must have been 70-80 degrees incline, and usually upwards for some reason!!! Quene seems to have hurt her ankle, so we’re going to take it easy for a few days.

    Hi Frankie and Jason and your classmates, a big Ni Hao from Beijing! It’s really cold up here, miss Hong Kong already!!!! You guys are really great at English, keep posting comments! And Tell Mr Finnerty and the rest of the school we all say hello!!!!

    Calenco,

    Not sure how much they pay for electricity in Hong Kong, but it sure makes a beautiful skyline at night!

    Lil Sisses!
    Hope you guys and the rest of the clan are all keeping well. Yeah Jan, I should have left that computer up in the attic, I just hope all our photos are OK!!!

    Big difference between Hong Kong and Beijing, firstly it’s so cold here and everything is so spread out so it and the monuments are all so big!!!! Youy can see the money in Hong Kong not so much here in Beijing, but there are lots of cars here and traffic is crazy! Mel and Jay have this address, sent it to them, but not sure if they’ve been readinbg up. Tell Dad to pass on the address to Jean and the rest of the clan, next time he speaks to them!

    Big hug to all at home, tell Leon we say Hi, and hope he’s feeling much better!
    Missing all you guys lots!

    Catch you later!

    Slan,
    James & Quene

  11. Harry 17 November 2005 at 12:05 pm #

    Hi,James and quene
    How are you ?
    You’re happy?
    you’re ate what? The food nice?

  12. calenco 17 November 2005 at 5:15 pm #

    Quene & James,

    look at China & Hong Kong flags. They are almost the same, but not…

    At the coming of China President to Spain, there were chinesse people in demonstrations for freedom. Even Tibetians !

    *

  13. lil sis-antoinette 17 November 2005 at 7:55 pm #

    Hey james wats up?so the travellings goin good,leons better,back to himself,cheeky and bold (“,)!!!Ahno,jst messin he dressed up as a cute lil fireman 4 halloween.Hes dyin to meet up wit ya’s,the kangaroos,koala bears and mel of course.Jays comin ovr 2moro 4 emmas 21st and his bday 2-dont 4get!!!Leons learnin the irish fast-knows more than me!!!
    Well im gonna go,got skul in the mornin,keep the postcards comin.
    love yas lots,
    Antoinette
    xxxx

  14. agustin 17 November 2005 at 7:57 pm #

    In the foto of Hongkong with clouds It could see a UFO , on the left side , Isn’t it.
    Be carefull with extraterrestrial dont pick up.

  15. calenco 19 November 2005 at 8:46 am #

    I remember that i read somewhere that that building in Hong Kong with big “X” all long wasn’t very accepted because the “X” sign in chinese culture is like the cross upside down in our culture. A taboo.

    I wonder if some reader can tell me more about it.

    More pics !

    A handful of love,

    .

  16. lil sis 20 November 2005 at 4:17 pm #

    is calenco blanca?????? love rebecca

  17. James & Quene 22 November 2005 at 4:28 am #

    Thought I posted a comment in reply to you guys the other day, but for some reason it doesn’t work when you click, think it has to do with Windows in Chinese, or the web firewall or whatever, anyway here goes again!!!

    Hi Harry,
    thanks for the post, you guys are great for reading and posting comments, enjoy!!!
    Say hi to Mr Finnerty and the rest of the class!

    Calenco,
    Yes the flags are different, Hong Kong is dark red with a Bauhinia flower, unique to Hong Kong Island, apparently it does not bear seeds, so it has to be grafted from a parent plant, and all exixting Bauhinias today are decendants of one found on the Island over 200 years ago.

    Hi Antoinette,
    great to see your post, sounds like you guys had a good Halloween. Great to hear Leon’s finally back to his good self! Hope yuou’re keeping up the good work in school! You and Becky should show your computer class our website and get them to put a post, just like the kids in Hong Kong too, that would be great!!!
    Give Leon, Jason and the rest of the family a big hug from us both!

    Hi Rebecca,
    Calenco is Blanca (Elio’s Mum), it’s her nickname
    Hugs and kisses to everyone.

    James & Quene

  18. calenco to REBECCA 22 November 2005 at 12:18 pm #

    Hi sweet love,

    how are you?, i miss you a lot. How are the dogs? I still have that video in my phone so i have great time with it…

    I see that you know lot of irish, what i pity i have no time to learn more than… slainté !

    “Slan” is like hello?

    Please, give all my love to your family, tell them i love you and i have you in my heart.

    XXX lots !

    *

  19. Quene y James 23 November 2005 at 3:30 am #

    I am the king of bongo… , every monkey likes to be, in my place instead of me, coz I’m the king of bongo bom… Je ne t’aime plus mon amour, je ne t’aime plus tous les jours…

    Third time listening Manu Chao in the free internet bar in Pingyao… Decent food and a menu in English, wow, a rare treat!!!

    Mentira lo que dicen , mentira la verdad ,.. mentira lo que cueze bajo la oscuridad…
    mentira la tristeza cuando llega , mentira cuando no se va, mentira cuando se va..
    Bueno se nota que internet es gratis …!! esperando la sopita…zopitaaaaaaa!

    Disfrutando de la vida y un mundo sin fronteras, mas o menos!!!

  20. Kevin 17 March 2007 at 5:54 am #

    hi!I am Kevin.I study in tkwss.I study in ID.
    My English teacher is Mr.Finnerty.My hobbies is playing football,playing computer games and palying basketball.I like eat chocolate,meet,ice-cream and chicken.

Leave a Reply