BootsnAll Travel Network



La Fortuna – Day 2 cont’d

After the hot, dusty roads, we were craving the cool water of the pool. We headed down, grabbed a few Imperials, and read for a while in the sun. Jay and Andrea (our new Canadian friends) came down a bit later, and the four of us started talking. They were only staying in La Fortuna one more night and were then heading to the Pacific coast somewhere. We discovered that we were on the same flight to San Jose, were all ending the trip in Puerto Viejo, and were on the same flight back to Charlotte on the 17th.

After a few drinks, and a teeny bit of persuasion, James and I decided to join Andrea and Jay for a 2 night trip to the Pacific coast before heading to the Caribbean. If you know us, you know that we’re not the most spontaneous people in the world. I had this trip planned for MONTHS, and while we’d miss a few of the things we thought about doing, we decided that a beach was better than an overpriced hotspring.

We broke out a few guide books about Costa Rica, and decided that the town of Samara would be a great place to stay (thank you Andrea, for knowing about this gem!). It was easier to get to than Mal Pais or Nosara, and the books had good things to say about the beach. We swam, drank, and talked to more of the hotel guests (lots of Canadians!). Most of the evening was then spent trying to figure out how to get there, where to stay, and other important details. The only Grayline bus available was at 7am, but we booked it with the hotel ($40/pp). Our hotel also made a ton of calls for us to locate a hotel room for 4 people in Samara, and we were able to reserve a room at Hotel Samara Beach.

After all of this, the four of us went to La Choza for dinner. We had the best nachos in the world:
Nachos

I ordered the casado with chicken, which is a typical Costa Rican dish, while James had shrimp and rice:
Casado w/chicken
Shrimp and Rice

After dinner, we walked through town a bit to get more beer and some snacks for the bus trip the next morning. There are dogs everywhere in La Fortuna! Some may be pets, but they were all very sweet and followed us around (we were carrying our leftovers from La Choza). Eventually, we felt so sorry for them that Andrea and I just gave everything to the dogs. One looked just like Fritz, only bigger, but he was afraid of the camera.

We all went back to the pool for more drinks and swimming. I started to feel a little tired, so we went to bed around 10pm.

Note: Costa Rica sells a canned drink called Bamboo that is rum & coke pre-mixed for you. They are actually really good and pretty cheap, but they hit you HARD. Just a warning. 🙂



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *