BootsnAll Travel Network



News

It is finally my weekend and it is an exciting one here in New Zealand. First of all, today is the day of the state funeral of Sir Edmund Hillary. The entire country is watching and listening. There are large screens set up all around the country for people to watch the ceremony. Radio NZ is broadcasting it and pod casting it so people can keep and listen to it over and over again. Hillary was the national hero; he was the only living person to be put on currency. According to the news here, the whole world is watching, so I am sure all of this is old news to you. He was an amazing man and left quite a huge legacy in both New Zealand and the Himalayas.

The other big news is that a Tropical Cyclone is rolling through. Yesterday from about 9am until 4pm, it is raining and there were 135kmh winds. There was rain coming into our windows when they were closed. It was crazy. At 4, it stopped raining, but was a little cool, but in about 20 minutes it got warm and very humid. By 8pm it was clear and the humidity was down below 100%. Today it is a beautiful Nelson summer day. Below are pictures of our normal view along Vanguard St., over the Warehouse and ANZAC park and finally to the Nelson Haven and the Abel Tasman Bay in the distance. The next picture is of the cyclone, it is hard to tell, but I took it from inside our front door and I was still getting rained on. And the last is of a sunset. We get one like this pretty often.
Our viewCyclone!Sunset



Tags:

2 responses to “News”

  1. Debbie says:

    Hi you two,

    A CYCLONE? holy cow.
    Did you hear about the tornado outside of….
    Portland??? Yeah, about a week ago! What in the world?

    Love your blogs!

    Mom (Eugene)

  2. Steve G says:

    Dan,

    It hasn’t rained here in Eugene for a few days. Of course it’s been pretty much below freezing all that time, but nonetheless…

    Oh.. the sunset picture isn’t there.

    Steve

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *